You are not logged in.

TredH20

Friday, May 2nd 2008, 11:40am

Hunter PGP Blue Nozzles...

Hello -

Was just curious if anyone has used Hunter's new blue nozzles and what they thought of them?

I have 13 zones and have a few spots where I am not getting great coverage - no matter how much tweaking I do with spray patterns/nozzles etc. These spots ended up suffering during the August drought in MA last year. I was wondering if the blue nozzles might allow better coverage close to mid distance from the rotor in some of these areas. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 4:31am

Hey tread

What are you using now? It unlcear to me if your using PGPs already? Do you have head to head coverage in your design? Now the next thing is that I dont recall them makeing a blue nozzle for hunters. Just red and gray. Wait are you color blind? Kidding :)

Tell me more about your system and what your concern is and we can help maybe by using a different approach

TredH20

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 6:17am

Hi DrPete-

I currently have 13 zones with 5-6 PGPs per zone with the classic red nozzles. I believe I do have pretty good head to head coverage (assuming this is where each rotor overlaps into another rotor zone to get the area in and around the other rotor). There just seems to be a few areas in the yard where despite me changing the rotor arc or changing out nozzles where I am not getting good coverage - the stream is overshooting. I tried to decrease the angle of the arc with the screw set on the rotor head - but, the stream usually gets too distorted to do anything useful (other than get me soaked). I saw an advertisement from Hunter talking about their new blue nozzle technology - and how it's supposed to take care of the close to mid distance area around a sprinkler head. They have some photos of the water stream that comes off the rotor - and it looks like it might be promising.

IH8NYyanks

Saturday, May 3rd 2008, 2:14pm

The new blue nozzles will give you more uniform distribution. Use them with confidence. These are Hunter's answer to the Rainbird 5000 series. The 5000 nozzles distribute water more efficiently than the old red PGP nozzles. Plastic nozzles should be changed periodically as they will loose their efficiency over time through wear.

Sunday, May 4th 2008, 4:55am

Hey I learned somthing new today! :)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 4th 2008, 8:33am

The Hunter blues are their response to Rain Curtain success. Thing is, that Ed Hunter got the nozzles right early on, and now they are playing games with the public's perception of what is uniform water distribution. Run the newer nozzles through some CIT testing, and you might be surprised with the results.

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Thursday, July 28th 2011, 7:28pm

Ya Wet boots is right,if you have a yard with head to head coverage,it doesnt matter which nozzles you use really. As long as you nick the stream so there is more water from the head to the end of the stream, which you should do on any nozzle,your lawn will be fine. Personally,I have the Blue nozzles. I have seen thousands of red ones I wanted to be different for my yard. I like the blue they look better to me,they might water a little different because they are longer than the red ones. But just keep in mind,we have 1000 accounts,and every system done PROPERLY with red nozzles,the lawn if perfect. Go for it though,they look good in there at least lol. They will certainly water better than an old red nozzle that has been in your heads for 8 or so years.

veidtmeister

Friday, July 29th 2011, 4:46pm

Im a total noob, trying to rehab a long ignored, and unused system.

When I turn on the system, Im dumbfounded, and perplexed at the layout of the heads...and the water distribution...

For example, in one area, I have 4 heads that pop up, and their spray goes out like 20 ft. but then hits the ground in a 2" area, so it basically just waters a two inch strip like 30 feet long...lol...

theres no spray, or water hitting anywhere else..I took a quick look at the head, and it has an adjustment screw in the nozzle, where I guess its supposed to interrupt the water flow and cause mist and breaking up of the stream, but using a hunter tool, the screw doesnt extend down far enough to do that.....lol...

Ok...I admit Im a noob....and this isnt rocket science, but I have a lot to learn. I assume maybe these nozzles are worn out or something??? Surely noone intentionally wanted to water a 30 ft. long strip, two inches wide....sigh...

Id like to learn all about coverage, and make a plan for replacing heads and nozzles to get good coverage with this old system.....just dont know where to start.....and Im too cheap to call a company out to do it for me.

servicetechMA

Advanced Member

Friday, July 29th 2011, 5:47pm

Take a tiny allen wrench,somthing alot smaller than the arc adjustment key on the hunter key. All it is,is that the hole is jammed with dirt,with the proper technique any head can be adjusted.You have to of adj 1000's of heads though to get the feel for it. so just get somthing real small to clean out the screw.That will work for you. and once you can adjust,you can move heads,and once you can move a head you can add heads (pressure allowing),you can make your system more efficient ,system effecient=good grass and so on lol. If you have good pressure,about 12 normal steps is good distance between heads,dont take big giant steps,dont even think about it just count your steps,this will give you an idea of what you would have to do for head to head coverage,even if you move/add a few heads a week,youll have a good system in a month or 2.

veidtmeister

Friday, July 29th 2011, 8:38pm

so youre saying that theres just dirt in the nozzle? Okey dokey, guess I'll try to just clean em out, before I replace like a gazillion nozzles..

thanks bro..

Rate this thread