You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

skimi

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 12:27am

Controller Off-System Still Runs

I have a 7 year old 8 zone system controlled by a Toro Greenkeeper 212, even though the system was turned off (dial was turned to off) it turned on at 1:15am, (this is the correct start time when the system is turned on). Last season I did notice that when I was adjusting my station times sometimes I had to jiggle the dial to display the station times setting or even when I was changing the system start time I had to do the same thing. Is the controller shot? Your expertise is appreciated.

skimi

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 12:34am

And if the controller is shot do you recommend getting the current Toro TMC-212 model or going with a different brand.

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 1:54am

Toro Greenkeeper

I don't know how others feel about the Greenkeeper but it's one of my personal dislikes. Have you ever noticed that a lot of times when you press a button you hear it click but nothing happens? Sometimes you have to press it two or three times to get the display to change. All Greenkeepers I've run across do this. If Toro's fixed that problem I'm not aware of it. If the controller's coming on in the off position I'd say it's shot. If it's flickering like that I'd say get a new one. I did cure a flickering problem last week on a Rainbird controller though. It was just a loose fuse. The prongs were too wide to hold the fuse tight. A loose fuse isn't your problem. The controller's bad.

I've said this many times and it still holds true today. My favorite controller of any price is the Hunter SRC now the SRC Plus. They'll have a 9 station for you. If you need an outdoor controller go with the Pro C or you could get an outdoor cabinet for the SRC but it's hard to open the door of the SRC while it's inside the Hunter outdoor cabinet. You could take the door off of the SRC while inside the cabinet I suppose. It just seems like leaving the door on would be more secure. Ask if taking the door off will void your warranty.

Good luck!
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (May 6th 2008, 2:14am)

skimi

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 2:04pm

Thank you for your help.

cbrown

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 2:19pm

R900 went wierd also.

Just thought that I would add my 2cents worth in. We use a Irritrol RD900 controller. I also noticed that the unit would act in the craziest manner at times. The final straw was that the + button appeared to lock on. I pulled the controller prior to sending it back to Irritrol for service. While it was in my shop I took the thing apart and found mold on the back and front of the circuit board. I used a little isopropol alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the board and let it dry. I reinstalled the unit and it did work. Now I will probably have to clean it every year but at least I have a starting point. So at last the 30 years of working in industrial electronics is paying off.

Curtis

jbsbeach

Starting Member

Wednesday, January 7th 2009, 7:18am

Controller Off, but system still runs.

Read another thread and this seems to be an issue with the TORO GreenKeeper 212. I too, thought my unit was shot. I called TORO just for kicks and spoke to a very polite person who said to reset the unit; by unplugging it and taking out the battery for at least 30 minutes. I let the unit reset for an hour then I changed the battery and the fuse and plugged it back in. I reset all the station times, days, and current time. I have tested the system three times and it does not run..... IT'S FIXED!!!! I'll still keep an eye on it. :)

Rate this thread