You are not logged in.

jhacker

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 4:41pm

PVC Pipe Connectors or Poly Pipe and clamps

I was told it's best to install my system with 1" diameter pvc pipe with pvc pipe connectors, and pvc cement. I was told NOT to use poly pipe, clamps, and no compression fittings. Can somebody guide me in the right direction on what is best to use? Thank You.

mrfixit

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 9:01pm

What to use.

I'm assuming it makes a difference where you live weather wise. All I know about is where I live. Southern California. I'd say 99% of all new installs here on residential are PVC pipe. The size of the pipe depends. I'll let your installer figure that out. Maybe you should tell us where you live.
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

jhacker

Unregistered

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 6:50am

RE: What to use.

I'm assuming it makes a difference where you live weather wise. All I know about is where I live. Southern California. I'd say 99% of all new installs here on residential are PVC pipe. The size of the pipe depends. I'll let your installer figure that out. Maybe you should tell us where you live.

I live in Missouri. I have two quotes from two installers one for $4,200 and one for $3,100 - Big difference. The $3,100 uses Hunter equipment with the 1" diameter PVC pipe with the poly pipe, clamps, and compression fitting.

The second quote for $4,200 the installer uses Rain Bird equipment. He uses 1" diameter PVC pipe and uses PVC connectors and PVC cement. He said he will NOT use poly pipe, clamps, and compression fitting.

I want to know is there a big difference between the two quotes? Does it matter if I go with the cheaper quote since they use poly pipe, clamps, and compression fitting? Since the first quote is so high it looks like the poly pipe, clamps, and compression fitting is a bad thing or he's trying to make a lot of money.

Thursday, May 8th 2008, 7:59am

In MI we use poly pipe. Works fine. I agree it may be a climate thing. All I know is MI. Curious why in CA they use only PVC. BTW both Hunter and Rainbird are very good products.

Rate this thread