You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

AdamT

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 5:07pm

Reusing the Reduced Pressure Backflow Device from old sprinkler system

I am going to install a new sprinkler system and I want to reuse the Reduced pressure backflow preventer from the old system. The old system hasn't been operational for at least a few years, according to the neighbors. I want to know if there is away to test it to see if it is operational and what the 4 taps off of the side can be used for. I have attached a couple of pics of the unit, it is a 1" Neptune model 575.

[img]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2112/2471562821_7d9f1f49f2.jpg?v=0[/img]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3265/2471561245_a0e9e804bb.jpg?v=0[/img]

Thanks in advance

Adam

AdamT

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 5:53pm

I'm not sure why the pics won't work. They work fine on my message, but won't show up on the preview or the post.

Adam

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 7:18pm

You will need to call out a licensed backflow inspector to certify your RP. The 4 test cocks are used to test the system with a pressure differential gauge. The inspection will cost from 50 to 150. If your device fails you will have to repair it or have the tester repair it. If the repair is too much you will have to replace it. A good place to start is with and inspection. In Texas we are licensed through the state to inspect backflow devices and we have to have our gauges inspected every year to ensure that they are within tolerances.

Good Luck!!

P.S. the device needs to be installed and connected to a water source with pressure on it to be inspected.

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

AdamT

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 7:51pm

Thanks for the reply.

How do I find a licensed inspector? Are you licensed through the state plumbing inspector? Water dept?

It is still hooked up to the water supply, does it need to be hooked up to a completed irrigation system?

Iam fairly new to Colorado and this is my first experience with irrigation systems.

Adam

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 8:02pm

I am registered through the TCEQ. I would call an Irrigation supply house in your area. Try Ewing or Horizon or John Deer and see if they can steer you in the right direction. If your device is connected to the old system you may be able to test it, but find out if you need a permit on the new install at the new place. If you need a permit you will have to call an inspector of the backflow device anyway at that time and you don't want to do it twice.

With out knowing how Colorado does things I can't be sure the procedure. Look up Backflow in google with your zip code.

Good Luck
:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

AdamT

Tuesday, May 6th 2008, 8:30pm

Thanks for the advice, I found a couple of local lawn sprinkler companies that offer testing.

Adam

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 11:41am

If you are on a flat property, I'll bet it would be cheaper to plumb the new sprinkler system with a Pressure Vacuum Breaker, than to deal with that ancient Neptune 575, which is likely to require a complete rebuild, and maybe new isolation valves as well.

AdamT

Wednesday, May 7th 2008, 5:43pm

The property is definitely not flat. There is probably a 12'- 14' difference in height between the highest and lowest point. The Neptune is about half way.

Rate this thread