You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Mortaldragon

Unregistered

Monday, May 12th 2008, 7:42am

Old Rainbird Valve

I have a Rainbird Valve outside the house that connects to the water line that supplies water to the sprinkler system. The nameplate reads Model PVB100R and Serial 628982. The 1" copper pipes and shut off valves around it are all leaking so i want to replace those as well as the 90 degree elbow with the drain plug that is stripped. Is there any way to find one of these valves or re-use this one and try to clean out the connections? Seems like they dont make this model anymore? What can i replace it with? This is where I attach the air compressor to blow out the lines for winterizing. Plumber wants 300 bucks to replace 25 bucks of pipe. Geez.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 12th 2008, 9:51am

Copper pipe and fittings cost big bucks. The likely reason this sort of plumbing is leaking after years of operation is that the system and plumbing wasn't properly winterized. Water freezes and plumbing breaks. Keep that up, and you will have big repair bills every spring.

If the PVB part of the plumbing doesn't leak, then the bad plumbing and valves can be replaced. You can also just replace the entire PVB-with-valves with a new one. This all costs money, and the quote you got was not unreasonable.