You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 6:55pm

Rainbird Controller

I had an ESP-8Si that I thought had died this spring when it wouldn't start up. I bought an ESP-8TM from Sprinkler Warehouse. They have the same wire connections, faceplate virtually identical. However when I connected the new one, sprinklers still don't come on. Does anyone know if these are exactly interchangeable and if so, what else should I troubleshoot. Thanks.

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 8:15pm

Wont come on

It sounds like the ground wire leading to the valves maybe disconnected somewhere. It also sounds like someone has possibly turned the water supply to the valves off. Check those two things first.
If I can't fix it, it's broken!

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 3rd 2008, 9:17pm

RE: Wont come on

It sounds like the ground wire leading to the valves maybe disconnected somewhere. It also sounds like someone has possibly turned the water supply to the valves off. Check those two things first.

If you can't tell for sure if the water supply is on or off, try turning one of the circuit on manually at the valve. If it's an issue with water being shut off, then manually turning the valve on will fails as well.

To test if a common wire is broken, disconnect the ground (common) wire and any one circuit wire. Use an ohm meter and test the resistance between the two. It should be something on the order of 100-200 ohms.

Another thing to look at is make sure the controller is getting power. While I don't know about the controler in question, I have heard of controllers that can run things like the display on battery power, but can't activate the vavles without power. A simple way to verify this is to unplug the controller. That should do something to the display. If not, then the controller is running on battery.

Wednesday, June 4th 2008, 9:37am

good answers guys. I agree with the above. Let us what you have tried other than the new controller so we can give you more info.

Saturday, June 14th 2008, 3:27pm

Rainbird Controller

Thanks. I am able to get water by turning on each station individually at the valve. I guess I'll go buy an ohm meter. To check between the two wires are you referring to the white wire that goes into the slot labeled "com" on the controller and then a wire to any of the stations?