You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Monday, June 9th 2008, 11:05am

Pop up sprinkler heads a bit high - do I need to adjust?

I recently had a system expansion done with Rainbird 5000 heads. About 10 heads seem to be about 1" too high. One or two are about 1" low and mud has covered them. The company that did the install said they would come out to fix this and some other problems (cutting one zone line with the plow and hooking a main line extension into an existing zone rather than the main line) but now has disappeared. Looks like I get to fix it myself....

I looked up the rainbird info and didn't find anything about how much should be above ground level. The Hunter literature shows side views with the ground level slightly below where the pop up comes out which seems reasonable as a general rule. How much variation in height is reasonable? I don't want to clip them off with a mower but I also don't want to mess with them if it isn't really needed. I obviously need to raise the ones that are too low but how high is too high? Because there is some ground roughness I took a 24" long straight piece of wood to lay on the ground to check height. There are other heads that look high but are in a slight depression and can just be filled around.

Thanks for any recommendations.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, June 9th 2008, 3:56pm

Well, you sort of answered your own question.

The ones that are so low that they get covered with mud is an obvious problem. You've got to get them out of the mud.

From an operational stand-point, the heads can't be too high. Your real concern on too high is making sure they are low enough that you don't chop them up with the lawn mower (think early season mowing with the mower on the lowest setting) or trip over them walking through the yard. Beyond that, the maximum height is going to vary. I made the mistake of setting all of might to the same height. The ones in the middle of the yard are perfect. But the ones near the edge... well I've already cut a few of them because my lawn mower blade was lower at the edge when I have half the wheels in the grass and half the wheels on pavement (drive way, side walk, etc) that is lower than the lawn.

Rate this thread