You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wednesday, June 18th 2008, 3:18pm

Irrigation Wire ?

I have some wire that says E161145 16AWG TYPE TFFN OR MTW OR GASOLINE AND OIL RESISTANT 11VW-1 600V (UL) can this be used for wiring my irrigation valves.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 19th 2008, 7:42am

Any wire (of a large enough guage) can be used for wiring irrigation valves (and 16AWG should be plenty big enough unless the controller is going to be more than something like 500' away from the valves). The biggest question is will is hold up directly burring it in the ground.

The "GASOLINE and OIL RESISTANT" wording seems to indicate the sheathing should hold up in the ground. Beyond that, you might want to judge based on the thickness of the sheathing. Does it seem stout enough that it should avoid getting cut from simple abrasions with rocks as it gets installed?

The next question is that the TFFN sounds like something to do with conduit, which makes me think you have individual strans of wire rather than a bunddle of wire. If that is the case, I would think the individual wires would be more prone to damage than if the wires were in a bundle. If they are individual wires, you might want to think about putting them inside conduit for a little added protection.