You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jlksdf

Sunday, May 26th 2019, 11:10pm

All 10 Sprinkler zones won't turn on

Hello:

I was wondering if anyone can help me?

I have a 12 zone orbit sprinkler timer, which didn't turn on. I tried manual, but it says on the timer, its running, but the valve don't turn on.

I tried checking voltage at the timer, and found something odd: I turned zone 1 manually, and there is 29 VAC on all the 10 zones!!!

I then removed the common wire and tried to see resistance: all zones show very high resistance (1000 Ohms).

My question is: is the timer gone bad? If yes, then why is the resistance so high.
And if there is bad splice on common, why are all zones reading 29 VAC, when only one is on?

Can anyone shed some light please?

thanks

​​​​​​​JK

mrfixit

Monday, May 27th 2019, 2:30am

It could be a problem with the wiring. Try seeing if the volts are going down one wire and back up the others. Disconnect the in coming wire from the controller. You'll know rather quickly if it's the timer or the wiring. Make sure you're touching the common and not the pump terminal.

jlksdf

Monday, May 27th 2019, 10:27am

It could be a problem with the wiring. Try seeing if the volts are going down one wire and back up the others. Disconnect the in coming wire from the controller. You'll know rather quickly if it's the timer or the wiring. Make sure you're touching the common and not the pump terminal.
Okay, Here is what I tried: I diconnected zone two wire. I manually turned on zone one, there is 29 VAC between common white wire and zone one wire (as should be). HOWEVER, there is 29 VAC between the disconnected zone two wire and the common?

What does that mean?

I did the same experiment with zone 9 wire which is still attached to the controller. When I turned on the zone 9 manually, there is same 29 VAC read between the disconnected zone 2 wire and common.

In the meanwhile....

I can manually turn the valve on (using the bleed screw), so water supply is ok.
There is no rain sensor. Also orbit controller has a rain sensor off/on button; currently it is on "Off" setting.

I had installed some stakes in my vegetable garden which is way way away on the other side of the house. Neverthless I still dug it all up to the point as far as the stake goes, and around it, no signs of any wire or any cut wires.

I tried to dig up outside the garage where the wires come out....so far they seem all intact.

Still don't have any clues how to proceed. Any further thoughts.

I appreciate your time to read and reply.

mrfixit

Monday, May 27th 2019, 2:01pm

Is there a wire hooked up to the master valve/pump terminal? It might be right next to the common terminal. Try disconnecting it if there is one and run your test again. Is there still more than one hot wire?

It's a wiring problem for sure. Have you looked at the wiring where the valves are? Sound like they're wired together somehow. Maybe disconnect the two wires from the valves and see if they're both hot. Isolate them so they aren't hooked up to anything else. If you still have two hot wires at the same time then the problems somewhere between the timer and valves. If you can't figure it then you'll have to run a new bundle of wires. 10 zones needs 11 wires. But if your manifolds are in different spots, maybe you don't need that many new ones.

jlksdf

Monday, May 27th 2019, 2:54pm

*********SOLVED***********

Thanks so much for all the replies. I really appreciate it.

I spent 5 hours digging around to see if the common white wire was spliced etc. I also had installed stakes for my vegetable garden, so I dug up all that area, but did not find any wires or spliced wires.

In the end, I found some wires coming from Rain sensor to the ground, and that wire had a splice. I reconnected that wire and sprinklers started again!

I was skeptical about it, because the rain sensor is NOT even attached to the controller :(

Anyways, I am still at odds as to how or why this happened, but am glad that it works now.

Again, as always, I really appreciate all the replies and the advice.

SS

Rate this thread