You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ktgrok

Sunday, June 16th 2019, 3:59pm

is this a controller problem or valve problem or?

I have 4 zones, right now zone 1 is "under construction" in the backyard so the timer is programed to skip that one, and start with zone 2, then 3, then 4, for 10 minutes each. (I have new seed, so short frequent waterings). Except last night and today zone 2 didn't turn off when it went to zone 3. So both were trying to run at once (badly). I unplugged the controller and everything shut off, which makes me think it is a controller problem, not a physical problem with the valve? Also, if I hit the button to manually advance from zone 2 to zone 3 or 4 zone 2 does not turn off, it stays on and the next zone comes on. But if I hit the manual off button, it (and the other zone) turn of with no problem. If it was the valve itself stuck open from debris or whatever, I'd think it would stay on even when I unplugged it or turned it off, am I right?

The controller is at least a decade old, a PC-104 railbird one. Of course, the valves are old too, so who knows. Thoughts? My husband has been telling me to buy a new controller anyway, but before I spend the money figured I'd ask. Although that would sure be an easier fix than dealing with the valves.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "ktgrok" (Jun 16th 2019, 5:23pm)

mrfixit

Sunday, June 16th 2019, 5:49pm

It's most likely the controller but it could still be the valve.
Try this, switch the 2 and 3 wires around at the controller. Does the new number 2 stay on when it goes to 3?
Or you could test the terminals to see if number 2 has 24 volts.
Or instead of turning off the controller, disconnect the number 2 wire while it's stuck on. Did it shut off or stay on?
It might not be shutting off because 3 is on stealing the pressure it needs to shut off. So when you turn off 3, 2 builds the pressure it needs and shuts off. You could try turning the flow control down on 2 if it's the valve and not the controller. Maybe switch 2 and 4 so number 2 comes on last and can't stick on when 3 comes on.

I hope that's not too confusing. I added a lot of stuff you might not need. Start by disconnecting the number 2 wire from the controller when it's stuck on. If it shuts off, it's the timer. If it stays on it's the valve.

ktgrok

Sunday, June 16th 2019, 6:50pm

It's most likely the controller but it could still be the valve.
Try this, switch the 2 and 3 wires around at the controller. Does the new number 2 stay on when it goes to 3?
Or you could test the terminals to see if number 2 has 24 volts.
Or instead of turning off the controller, disconnect the number 2 wire while it's stuck on. Did it shut off or stay on?
It might not be shutting off because 3 is on stealing the pressure it needs to shut off. So when you turn off 3, 2 builds the pressure it needs and shuts off. You could try turning the flow control down on 2 if it's the valve and not the controller. Maybe switch 2 and 4 so number 2 comes on last and can't stick on when 3 comes on.

I hope that's not too confusing. I added a lot of stuff you might not need. Start by disconnecting the number 2 wire from the controller when it's stuck on. If it shuts off, it's the timer. If it stays on it's the valve.

Ill try that with the wire!
To clarify, I can advance from zone 3 to zone 4, and zone 3 turns off, zone 4 comes on, and zone 2 stays on. when I then hit the "off" button both turn off.

Rate this thread