You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

natel

Starting Member

Saturday, June 28th 2008, 6:04pm

Help choosing a controller with remote and budget of $350

Hi,
We have $350 to spend on a controller for our yard. There's a program called cash for grass here in Santa Rosa, CA that gives us the money to spend on a remote if we replace our lawn with low water usage plants. Anyway, here's what's important to me.

1) I want a remote control and that's number 1. The range only has to be 200 feet as we have a small yard.
2) a rain sensor, weather detection, or remote schedule updates might also be nice
3) being able to control the schedule on the computer might also be nice
4) and 4 rather than 2 programs would be nice too
5) this doesn't seem to really be a deciding factor, but we only need 4 zones. It looks to me that most seem to come with at least 6.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 28th 2008, 8:25pm

If remote control is number one, then you will probably get a Hunter SRR transmitter/receiver set, and connect it to one of their controllers, like a SRC-600. Your budget doesn't allow for 'professional' remote operators, and your 200 foot range is no problem for the SRR, as long as there is a clear 'line-of-sight'

Other consumer remotes have come and gone, and more will show up, but the SRR is a proven product. Rain sensors are another simple add-on. More complicated weather stations are going to be too expensive, and they are still new technology.

Not sure what you want with four programs. Usually, one is enough, or two, when you have shrub zones.

If you really want to use your PC, then you can consider an Irritrol PC Control, which comes with a remote control. Not much pro usage, since pros want standalone controllers.

Big Dog

Tuesday, August 5th 2008, 6:23am

Orbit makes a timer with a remote for cheap

Rate this thread