You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

molarface

Unregistered

1

Wednesday, July 31st 2019, 2:15pm

trying to resurrect a mess!

Bought an older house (1964), been working throught the sprinkjler system to get it up to snuff.
Controller - Rachio 2. This is what theprevious owner had though it was not working. Rachio couldn't get it running so just sent me a new one! Nice company. New one works perfectly.
Heads - hardly 2 alike. All types, brands, and whatnot. They seem to get the job done, but I forsee some shovel time in my future.
With condiserble searching I was able to finf the water cut off, master valve, backflow, etc. So far only obe zone valve has been located (working).
The main issue(s). I should have 6 zones as that is what I have wired into the original. Only four zones work. Have a new line added in at some point in time, it's working. So that's one new line working and 3 old lines working. Wire bundle has been spliced (loosely used term here It's really a crappola job but seems to be at least functional) and then a terrible underground splice of all the wires underground, looks like they were cut when someone ran some underground gutter lines to an opening in the ally. they are just twisted and wrapped with somewhat brittle electrical tape.

Where do I start? I'm thinking about just redoing the splices - best way since they are underground? solder, shrinktubing and tabe?

Any way that I can find the dead valves? at leasr then I would know the colors I'm looking for.

mrfixit

Moderator

Posts: 2,424

Location: USA

2

Thursday, August 1st 2019, 11:27am

Since you know where the wires are you're going in the right direction.
You need a wire locator. I'd start right where the wires are broken. Then once you've found the valves, repair the wires.
You want them waterproof. Tape isn't going to cut it. Use Dryconn or grease caps.
Or you could hook the wires back up and use a Chat-R-Box. I have this one among others. It's reasonably priced and works very well. It depends on the model of solenoid and how deep in the ground they are. If they're above ground you'll find them easily.

If you go the wire locator route, I suggest you hire a guy. They're tricky to use.

molarface

Unregistered

3

Friday, August 2nd 2019, 2:10pm

Thanks mrfixit.
Got a bunch of greasecaps.All the adhesive in the taped splices had turned to white, dry, yuccky stuff. Wires a pretty blue color. Started removing a few inches on each side, cleaning wires and using the grease caps to make the splice. While doing this I discovered that the colors at the splice area are not the same as at the box. So anothe slice atea had to be located and those colors had to be 'corrected' so that I can know what I'm dealing with when i find a valve.

Oddly, a head in a bed started working after cleaning the splice up to another zone. Getting a chat-r-bo next.

Rate this thread