You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

worachj

Advanced Member

Saturday, July 19th 2008, 11:40am

Dilution of fertilizer in the EZ Flow tank

I am thinking of purchasing an EZ Flow system and have read though most of the literature. But I still don’t understand the concept about the fertilizer and water in the tank mixing without the fertilizer becoming diluted. Why doesn’t the fertilizer become diluted when more water is added? Is it like oil and vinegar where the two don’t mix and where the thicker density fertilizer sinks to the bottom and the lighter density water raises to the top?

So when refilling the tank with fertilizer there’s really no reason to measure because the fertilizer and water will always separate into two separate parts? When adding liquid fertilizer I should be able to add any amount without it becoming diluted, correct? When I add a dry fertilizer I really only need enough water to fully dissolve it, any additional water will raise to the top of the tank. So does the property/density of fertilizer always remain the same no mater what the ratio of water to fertilizer there is in the tank? Is that correct or am I missing something?

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Saturday, July 19th 2008, 7:53pm

Dilution of fertilizer

I'm with you on this. Despite the hype, the colorant definitely is diluted, and although more seems to stay towards the bottom of the tank, there is admixture, and colorant dilutes withthe incoming water at the top.

Chemistry and physics laws makes me doubt there is no dilution.

I have one, but got smart and invested in an injector. Never looked back.

Just make sure to use the correct backflow device, whichever type you are using.

Jeff

worachj

Advanced Member

Monday, July 21st 2008, 2:59pm

Thanks for the insight. I will have to take a closer look at the injectors before I purchase a system. Was dilution the main reason you stopped using your EZ-Flow or where there other problems with it? I have a PVB for my backflow device which meets the code in my area and seems to be adequate for the EZ-Flow.

What injector do you own, FertiGator?

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Monday, July 21st 2008, 3:55pm

Injectors rule!

Yes, dilution was a major problem. I was calculating mix and dilutions, and if I wanted to use the amount mixed up on several zones, was not confisent the last zone was receiving the same dilution as the first. BTW, there was always some faint dye left after running it. When is it empty? The flow control is a not very specific.

I have a Dosematic, and am happy with it. I think any of the types are adequate.

AVB is great. :) Jeff

worachj

Advanced Member

Monday, July 21st 2008, 6:38pm

Thanks again for your input, much appreciated. I’ll start looking into Dosematic and FertiGator.

worachj

Advanced Member

Wednesday, August 13th 2008, 10:33am

Well, I went the cheapest route and purchased an EZ Flo system. The purchase cost was 60% cheaper than the injector systems. I do believe there’s dilution with the EZ Flo system but with micro-dosing the fertilizer every time I water the lawn I doubt I will notice.

So I went with the EZ Flo system because of cost, ease of installation (no wiring), 5 year warranty, little to no maintenance and the ability to use any water soluble fertilizer and bio conditioners.

RACook

Starting Member

Wednesday, July 1st 2009, 11:29am

EZ-Flo & Liquid Fertilizer

I just received my EZ LEF 626-2.5 - Live Earth "Harmony" - Liquid Fertilizer. I am not sure if I am suppose to dilute it or not. Information on the SW site states 1-2 quarts. So do I put 2 quarts in my EZ-Flo container (1.5 Gal) and fill the rest with water? Or can I just fill the EZ-Flo container with the liquid?

Rate this thread