You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

microdrip

Starting Member

Monday, July 21st 2008, 11:36am

Turf Drip Irrigation

hey i have been running a company that does only drip irrigation for landscapes and plants for a little while now so i have some experience with above ground drip irrigation. There has been enough interest for me to look into turf irrigation by drip as well. I had a few questions about it before i offered it however.

1.) can i use any type of drip line for subsurface turf irrigation, or can i only use Netafim brand? Previously i had been using Digg products.

2.) If i can only use Netafim, where can i go about buying the dripline? for all of my past projects i have bought stuff off of sprinklerwarehouse, but they do not offer netafim products. I live right outside Washington D.C. in Maryland if that helps.

3.) Though i have done some research and have a pretty good general idea of what is necessary for subsurface drip, is there any sort of industry secret that will help me avoid major problems with installation?

thanks for any help

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Monday, July 21st 2008, 3:32pm

sub surface drip

Toro has a line and uses a herbicide in each emitter to help prevent root intrusion. I have a coil the rep left me, but have not used it.

Netafim has a nice tutorial online. They also sell a "filter" which secretes small quanities of the same herbicide (as Toro uses),with each watering.

Personally, I avoid herbicides in my equipement.

I have a netafim 0.9 gal/hr every 12 inches, 12 inches apart (staggarded) off headers on a small lawn area. We have Wester Red Cedars bordering it(notorius for root intrusion), and I am watching and waiting for root intrusion. Been in 1 & 1/2 years and still working. Have not dug up top check on roots, but will this fall. i did design it so the system drains completely after each cycle.

Augmented the native sandy soil with compost. 6 inches of mix on top of the netafim.

Have Fun, Jeff

Rate this thread