You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

RickP

Unregistered

Monday, July 28th 2008, 12:38pm

Rainbird 5004-PC-SAM

I recently purchased a case (20) of Rainbird 5004-PC sprinklers to replace my old, leaking Hunter PGP heads. I also have (1) Hunter head that drains all the time. Its the lowest point in the system. I bought a 5004-PC-SAM to stop the draining. I notice there is somekind of set-screw sticking out the top of the sprinkler head. I am not familiar with the SAM's heads. Do I need to do anything differnt from the regualr 5004-PC's when I install the SAM's head? Do I need to amke any special kind of adjustment?

Thanks!!!!!

DanG144

Unregistered

Monday, July 28th 2008, 5:45pm

nozzles

RickP,

Sorry I do not have the answer to your question, but I think you are in a position to answer mine. Did your heads come with 12 nozzles of different gpm and angle?

DanG

RickP

Unregistered

Monday, July 28th 2008, 6:04pm

RE: nozzles

RickP,

Sorry I do not have the answer to your question, but I think you are in a position to answer mine. Did your heads come with 12 nozzles of different gpm and angle?

DanG

Yes they did. Each head had a set of nozzles and the case had an adjusting tool included

mrfixit

Tuesday, July 29th 2008, 5:48pm

Drainage

If the head at the low point is draining 24 hours a day then the SAM isn't going to solve the problem. It's just going to move the draining to the next lowest head. Water can't get to the sprinklers unless it gets past the valve. The valve itself is where the problem is.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 3rd 2008, 9:39pm

RE: Rainbird 5004-PC-SAM

... I notice there is somekind of set-screw sticking out the top of the sprinkler head. I am not familiar with the SAM's heads. Do I need to do anything differnt from the regualr 5004-PC's when I install the SAM's head? Do I need to amke any special kind of adjustment?

Thanks!!!!!

It sounds like your heads came with nozzles pre-installed. That's the only thing I can think of why there would be a set-screw sticking out of the top... some adjustment for the nozzle. When I bought the Rainbird SAM heads, they just came with orange caps to be replaced with nozzles.

The SAM doesn't need anything special. Its just something added to the bottom of the head to seal it when the head retracts. Nothing to set... it just seals. However, I do know that when I bought my SAM heads, one or two of them had some of the parts missing and I had to get them exchanged (it was obvious there was no seal happening before I even attempte to install them).

Rate this thread