You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jimrd

Starting Member

Thursday, July 31st 2008, 10:27am

Lines Drain on a slope

I have a system that is on a slope. When the zone is off the water drains out of the lines and heads. The system works fine when it is fully pressured up. The problem is that I have to run two programs (on the controller box) to get them to operate properly. What I do is run the zone for about 2-3 minutes to put water into the lines and then shut it off for 3 minutes to let the pump get up to full pressure again and then start it up again. I believe the reason it works this way is because the system is operating at full capacity and the heads don’t pop up all the way unless they are fully pressured up.
I have heard of a back flow value or something like that that can be put on every head. Is this something that can be done?

I have Hunter PGJ heads.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 3rd 2008, 9:48pm

You need check valves installed at each head. There are some spray heads (Rain bird SAMs) that come with check valves installed in the bottom of the heads. You could look into replacement heads that include check valves like these built into them. Otherwise, you need to dig up each head and install some sort of check valve to the line feeding the head. It should be fairly simple if the heads are installed on swing joints or connect to the lateral lines with funny pipe. If the heads are installed directly on the lateral lines, you'll likely have to remove the heads from the laterals and reinstall them with swing joints or funny pipe.

Rate this thread