You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DRYSPOT

Starting Member

Saturday, August 2nd 2008, 7:57pm

Do all spray heads have a uniform pattern?

I have an irregular shaped lawn that is developing dry spots in the middle. Due to the lawn shape and head placement I can’t get water to reach the middle without getting substantial overspray on the sides. I’m looking for a spray head that will spray in an elliptical pattern for 180 degrees, spaying a greater distance at 0 degrees (perpendicular to the edge) than at + 90 or -90. Does this product exist? If not I’m assuming I need to dig up the heads and move them. My water district is on drought restrictions, excessive overspray is not a good option.

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Saturday, August 2nd 2008, 9:51pm

spray patterns

Hi. You ask a question that takes some explaination. I am not certain if I am clear on your question, but here goes.

First, spray heads come in several fixed patterns. Full (F) , half (H), third (T) and quarter (Q): named in reference to a circle. Additionally, there any number of "strip" sprayers. One covers a more or less rectangular pattern, which may satisfy your request for an eliptical coverage. Other strip heads sit on one side of a square or rectangle. Hard to describe, but if you navigate around the Rainbird site, you should find diagrams.

Each head is designed for a certain pattern (as the prior paragraph explains) and a coverage distance. Referred to as the radius for the F,H,T,Q patterns. So, for example, the various companies manufacture them in 8,10,12,15 feet covering sizes. The strip types also come in a variety of ranges. Check out sprinklerwarehouse.com, the sponser of this site for ideas.

Matching the pattern and "radius" of the spray is usually planned before installation. Retrofiting is a little more difficult. Plan to have the spray coverage "head to head" which mean the base of one head is being splattered with water from the next head.

Water conservation also deals with overspray within the covered area, and not just what hits the pavement. Designers try to match the paercipitation rate, so IDEALLY, all the grass gets the same amount of water during the water cycle. You can check this by placing empty straight sided cans (cat food) at various places in the yard and measuring how much water is in each after a given period of time. Notice I said IDEALLY.

You stated your lawn is gettting dry spots in the midle. A catch test will tell you if it is from lack of water, or maybe if it is getting ample moisture, another problem.

Hey, hope that helps, and if not write again, and I'll do my best. Jeff

worachj

Advanced Member

Sunday, August 3rd 2008, 12:29pm

Maybe a special pattern spray head like those from Toro may work.

http://www.toro.com/irrigation/res/smturfsprink/lps/brochures/mpr_nozzle_data.pdf

mrfixit

Sunday, August 3rd 2008, 2:04pm

Dry spot

I'm going to suggest something which isn't standard practice. I haven't actually done this myself but if done just right you should be able to get more water to that brown spot. A friend of mine will modify an existing nozzle using a tiny coping saw. He covered brown spots in his yard this way. Professional? No. Unorthodox yes. Did it work? Yes. You might have to look the other way when it comes to percipitation rate on that one spot. =) You'll probably ruin a few nozzles before you figure it out. Practice on some used ones if you have them. I don't know of a nozzle that will do what you want. There's always a solution though. Maybe you should just add a sprinkler where the brown spot is.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 3rd 2008, 6:57pm

Manufacturers are not interested in expending hundreds of thousands of dollars to produce some special-pattern rotor heads for the purpose of letting you get away with using less heads than an area should have. Man up and put the right heads in the right places.

Big Dog

Tuesday, August 5th 2008, 1:33pm

Sounds like you need to add a head in the middle and reduce nozzles around peremeter

Rate this thread