You are not logged in.

ranmac

Starting Member

Monday, August 18th 2008, 11:28am

Rainbird 5000 plus vs 5000

In the back I have an area that is shaded most of the time and never drys out. Usually I can hear the water squish under my feet when I walk back there... The question is in reference to being able to shut off these 2 sprinkler heads manually as needed to allow the grass to dry out.

The sprinkler heads in question are rainbird 5000. I noticed in the documentation the 5000 plus has a shut off. Would this shut off alllow me to turn off just those two heads and not affect anything else?

Also I have never replaced a head... are the 5000 and 5000 plus interchangable? I presume I just ensure I would order the correct sprinkler head length... then unscrew the top and replace the rotor with the new one, swapping out the nozzle that is in my old one.. (not sure how it aligns itself when I screw it back in.. slot not sure?) and then setup the head arc and spray pattern...

Any help on this woudl be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Monday, August 18th 2008, 2:11pm

Rainbird Plus

Short answer is yes. When the head is pressurized, it raises. The plus has a slot you insert a screw driver, and turn it off. very effective. You can then manually turn it back on when needed.

I would not just replace the mechanical portion. Dig around your existing 5000 heads, and unscrew the present rotors, replacing with the new "plus" rotors.

It sounds like your assessment for the wettness is the shade. Just a thought, but is this a new problem? If it is, you may have another cause, like a leaky lateral line, a submerged head, or many other easily repairable problems. Is this a low area? If so, and if the wetness is around a lower head, you may have drainage around the head whenever the zone turn off, as in the whole system drains to the lowesr heads. If so, the 5000 and the 5000 plus come with a built in check valve option. Only drawback is without proper winteriztion, freezing may damage these type heads.

Good luck, Jeff

all wet

Monday, August 18th 2008, 3:07pm

Dont plan on swapping out the nozzle. You'll damage the old one trying to get it out. Put in a new one which come w/ the new head. It's really easy and cant be screwed up unless there is dirt on the nozzle when you put it in the new head. The nozzles are made to mate in one direction/orientation only with the head itself, as opposed to PGP rotors which are a little more difficult.

Rate this thread