You are not logged in.

wiredupjax

Unregistered

Monday, September 8th 2008, 11:41am

watering uphill

I installed a sprinkler system last summer. This summer I noticed several dry areas despite even rotor coverage. I noticed that the nozzles I had installed were 18-36 feet vs. 3-18. In other words, the throw of the sprinkler wasn't allowing the area in front of the head itself to receive adequate water.

I am using the Hunter 6000 stainless series rotor.

So, I purchased 3-18ft nozzles only to find that the slight incline of the lawn only allowed the spray to reach about 6ft (on the lower side of the hill). This is mainly due to a low throw from the nozzle.

My question is how do you water "uphill" to reach the other head on a slightly elevated lawn? Do I adjust the head and title it backward?

Thanks, Jason

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, September 8th 2008, 9:12pm

Irrigation 101 says that sprinkler heads should be installed perpendicular to the ground. So if the ground is at a 10 degree slope, the sprinkler head should be 10 degrees off vertical. You then have to use closer spacing to account for the fact that you can't throw up hill as far.

wiredupjax

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 9th 2008, 6:17am

Irrigation 101 says that sprinkler heads should be installed perpendicular to the ground. So if the ground is at a 10 degree slope, the sprinkler head should be 10 degrees off vertical. You then have to use closer spacing to account for the fact that you can't throw up hill as far.
That's what I thought... got it. Thank you!