You are not logged in.

OscarNav1

Sunday, September 21st 2008, 12:10am

Securing Ells...?

Just a quick question, Do you guys wrap tape on your ell conections or just install them as is...? I am curious to see what people do here, Thanks

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Sunday, September 21st 2008, 1:20am

???

Hi, not sure I understand. I use cement on my PVC slip joints, sweat my copper ones, and use teflon pipe tape all threaded fittings, including els, "T's" or adapters etc. I use 5 turns of teflon tape on each threaded connection.

I hope that helps.

Jeff

mrfixit

Sunday, September 21st 2008, 3:20am

Teflon tape

They say you don't need teflon tape with marlex fittings. Whoever "they" are. I tape them anyway. 2-3 wraps is good. I always tape threaded fittings including marlex. The number of wraps I use always depends on what I'm wrapping. I use between 2 an 12 depending. Galvanazided to galvanized. Galvanized to PVC. PVC to PVC. Even different model valves will have slightly different thread size. For example the Irritrol 2713APR I'll use 6-8 wraps. No way can I get away with using that many on an Irritrol 311A. I'm going to say what I use 12 wraps on because I can hear everyone thinking I'm nuts for using that many. I use that many on a drip Y filter to a pressure reducer. I want no leaks in any of my work.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, September 21st 2008, 10:09am

Kind of an indefinite question, since the OP might be talking about Harco ells on four-inch class PVC - even in the mundane world of a small home system, it depends on what brand of fitting is being used, since there are several plastics used for the 'funny pipe' elbow fittings.

Brand names like Toro and Rainbird use Delrin (or its equivalent) and don't need tape to make a good connection between head and funny elbow. Off-brands use a cheaper plastic that isn't 'self-lubricating', so the threads will likely 'stick' as you try to tighten the connection, sometimes leaving you holding the barbed piece, with the threaded half broken off in the head/fitting.

Marlex plastic is also self-lubricating, so it doesn't require teflon tape to make a tight connection. Marlex elbows also let you use those off-brand funny elbows, since it makes up for the cheaper elbows plastic.

By the way, using 'too much' teflon tape for those Irritrol 2713 valves is more or less correct technique, since all those Richdel valves had similar threaded ends, which made them far less likely to crack from over-tightening.

Friday, September 26th 2008, 12:16pm

I never tape when making the connection to the sprinkler head. I dont care if I get a small drip at the base of the head. Everywhere else yes.

Lowvolumejeff

Advanced Member

Friday, September 26th 2008, 6:00pm

yup

:) Alright, Uncle

I don't use Teflon tape on ALL my treaded joints. Just all PVC and copper ones. Don't use risers, and do not use tape on marlex.

Boy, we sure gave great answers, I just hope this was the question OscarNav1was asking

OscarNav1: Did we answer your question?

Jeff

Rate this thread