You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TMD

Thursday, May 22nd 2003, 3:01am

Sprinkler to Mainline Connection

What's the best way to connect from 1" PVC supply lines to
the sprinkler heads themselves?

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 22nd 2003, 3:31am

I would place a T at every location that you need a sprinkler. Then glue in a 3/4" fpt insert. Then use elbow funny pipe inserts along with funny pipe to make the connection.

Thanks,

Pete

RVLI

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 22nd 2003, 12:40pm

Better yet, if you live in a northern climate, you can install poly and use saddle tees or blazing saddle tees. The what I use for a riser is either cutoff riser, swing joint, or flexible swing joint(funny pipe)

drpete3

Supreme Member

Friday, May 23rd 2003, 3:31pm

Do you already have the pvc in the ground? If not then consider poly.

Thanks,

Pete

TMD

Tuesday, May 27th 2003, 8:10am

No, I don't have PVC installed already.

What is the benefit of using poly over PVC? I've heard the freezing issue mentioned, but what exactly is the benefit of using poly in freezing climates?

Are there other benefits? I think PVC wins out on price right?

BTW, i'm in Ohio.

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 27th 2003, 12:19pm

Benifits-
Easier to install, no glue, primer, no need to trench it in (you can pull poly in, but you can also pull in PVC) I use blazing saddle tee's, once in a while just regular saddles.
I would go with poly since you live in Ohio. There are really no disadvantages that I have ever noticed.

Very cheap...I can get a roll or 100' of 1" poly for 20-25.00

tlflorek

Tuesday, May 27th 2003, 4:07pm

If one were wanting to use pvc, which is the correct pipe to use, sch 40 or 80? I've heard the 80 holds up better to UV. Some of my runs will be above ground through mulched flower beds. The dark color would hide better.

Terry
Terry

RVLI

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 27th 2003, 5:31pm

It is a requirement in my town that you use shedule 40 PVC upstream of the valves, in other words, the mainline. There is no regulation for pipe after the valves, but around here I have never seen any systems except for very large commercial projects that have been installed with PVC after the valves. Most use poly in northern climates.

Where do you want to use the sched. 80 or 40 PVC? Mainline or laterals?

tlflorek

Monday, June 2nd 2003, 12:33pm

I was planning to use Sch 40 or 80 from the backflow preventer to the valves and poly from the valves to the heads. I assume that if the requirement is Sch 40 then Sch 80 is OK. Again, the concern here is the exposure to UV as it runs through the mulched flower beds.

Terry
Terry

Rate this thread