You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

jh

Unregistered

Tuesday, October 21st 2008, 2:44pm

Best fitting repair broken pipe

I've got a break in the main supply line, 1" Schedule 40, with no play to glue in a repair. Does anyone have any opinions on what is best - a compression fitting, or one of the telescoping fittings? I temporarily have an old compression fitting on at the moment, but it is weeping - not even dripping, but when I feel around it or put paper towel against it, I have just a tiny bit of water. Not sure if it will stop, or should I get new fitting, try telescoping, etc. It's reclaimed water from our city, so relatively high pressure - maybe 80 psi?

Thanks

mrfixit

Tuesday, October 21st 2008, 4:16pm

either or

Both will work just fine. 80 lbs isn't too high for either device. I've installed many with higher pressure than that. Which is better? Beats me. I don't recall ever digging up a slip fix that's leaking. I have compression couplings but that could be from improper installation.

You might try tightening the fitting you have now. That might do the job.

Good luck!

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 23rd 2008, 10:04pm

The old plumbers trick to create a bomb proof repair is four elbows. Basically, cut out enough pipe so that you can glue in 90 degree elbows on each end pointing the same direction. Then build a matching sized "U" with a few strate pieces of pipe and two more elbows. It's also a great way to fix a pipe that had a been and the results is two pipes that don't line up. In that case, so long as the pipes are level, you just point the elbows up and you can reconnect two horizonal pipes no mater what their angle is to each other.