You are not logged in.

TKH

Starting Member

Wednesday, October 22nd 2008, 4:21pm

205 irritrol valve problem

My irritrol 205 valve is leaking. I know I need to change the diaphragm but was warned by the salesperson that this can be tricky. He was right, I changed it and now it leaks more than it did before. Has anyone repaired one of these and do you have any suggestions on how to get it right? I think I'm going to have to buy another new diaphragm. It would make sense to just replace the valve however, I would rather not have to go to the time and trouble. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 22nd 2008, 6:39pm

Pros can change the diaphragms without much trouble. If you cannot, just install a new valve.

mrfixit

Wednesday, October 22nd 2008, 7:19pm

Tricky

He's right, it can be a little tricky. Here's what I do with the 205. Instead of placing the diaphragm on the body then attaching the bonnet (top part of the valve), I'll attach the diaphragm to the bonnet with the screws first. I'll have the screws sticking out the bottom about 1/4 inch only. Don't forget the spring. Hold the diaphragm in place so the spring doesn't push it off. Then aim very carefully and quickly put the bonnet onto the valve body. Press the bonnet into place. Make sure it's on correctly before tightening the screws.

One more thing, pay close attention to the nipple under where the solenoid goes and that it's sticking through the diaphragm before installing. Also there's an O ring that's supposed to be in the valve body where that nipple goes. If that's missing it will cause your valve to leak more than before.

OOOPS.. Forget what I said about the O ring. That woulda driven you crazy. There isn't an O ring in the 205. I was thinking of the 2500.

Good luck!

This post has been edited 3 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Oct 23rd 2008, 3:31am)