You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Frustrated in Texas

Unregistered

Saturday, November 1st 2008, 2:02pm

how to trace sprinkler wires?

I am having a rough time with my system. I added a big addition to my house last summer, and had to modify the sprinkler system pretty drastically. The previous owner installed the system in 1998.

I have 13 zones now. I have all 13 wires (plus the neutrals) in the garage. I can access all the wires in the yard in various places, but I cannot figure out how to identify which wires in the garage go to which wires in the yard.

Of the 13 zones, 11 work fine. Zones 3 and 4 don't work right, but I cannot find the valve boxes in the yard. I have found the main trunk line of wires leading to the zones, but I cannot seem to map where they go to.

p.s. the wiring the last guy used is not color-coordinated, so I am having a hard time keeping track.

I don't want to dig up my entire yard to manually track the wires.

I have tried 2 things unsuccessfully:
1) I connected a tone wire to the first zone's wire, but the noise came through on ALL wires. This seems odd since 11 zones work fine. Why can I hear the tone on all wires?
2) I have connected my radio's speaker (plack and red) to 2 wires in the sprinkler system. Then I have taken headphones (with stripped ends) and connected it to loose wires in the yard. No matter what wire I touch with the headphones, I hear the music. Again, this doesn't make sense since 11 zones work fine.

So what is a fail-safe way to identify which wires in my garage are connected to the wires in the yard?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, November 1st 2008, 4:57pm

Multimeter the wires in the garage to indicate which 2 are not working. Find those valves with a valve locator like a
progressive 521. Once you understand where the valves are you will get a better understanding of a bad wire
connection or cut wires.
You may need to hire a pro. If they don't have a 521 and a multimeter you don't want them in your yard for this project.

Good luck.
If you are near Houston give me a shout! :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Friday, February 27th 2009, 12:25pm

you need a wire toner

Get one or hire a professional contractor to find them for you.

www.irrigationsolutions.com