You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sooner Magic

Starting Member

Wednesday, December 10th 2008, 8:56am

New Sprinler System for my Raised Bed Garden

Gotta couple of questions::

I am building a new home and am laying out plots on the South side of the house for a raised bed garden. I will probably have 4 raised beds measuring 4’ X 16’ and a couple of other smaller ones, say 4’ X 4’. The beds will be about 12 to 16 inches deep and supported on the sides by timbers or other untreated wood.

The builder has not put in the sprinklers yet and to simplify my watering needs, I was going to have a separate zone set up just for that side of the house. I wanted to go ahead and have the sprinkler folks run the horizontal pipe so that I could come up out of the ground with a vertical pipe, about one foot above the height of each raised bed. The 4’ X 16’ beds would have two heads and the 4’ X 4’ would have just one.

On the top of each vertical pipe would be an exchangeable sprinkler fitting so I could either use it for drip lines, a spray or just to shut off the water to that area. Each vertical pipe fitting could have several drip lines running East for 4 foot and West for 4 foot (8 foot total). In this way the two vertical pipes would cover an entire 16’ section.

I would then schedule that zone of the sprinkler system to come on at say, 4:00am, for forty-five minutes three days a week. I will obviously be able to adjust this timing as necessary, plus I can adjust each vertical sprinkler head to either drip, spray or be completely shut off.

These raised beds will be used mainly for a large variety of vegetables with a few flowering plants interspersed for looks.

Questions:

Does this sound workable??

What kind of questions do I need to ask the sprinkler folks prior to installation?

Since the beds will be 4’ wide, how many drip lines will I need to run down each bed to cover that area?

Should I be concerned about there being enough water pressure to effectively water this much area using drip lines?

What would be some disadvantages of using this type of system? ie., I probably could not do an in-line fertilizer.

The sprinkler folks will be ready to lay pipe next week so I need to get my plan in place. Your assistance will be greater appreciated.

Rate this thread