You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

faithfulfrank

Advanced Member

Wednesday, December 10th 2008, 8:45pm

What brand rotors should I commit to?

Hello all. You guys have always been great, and everything I have learned about sprinklers are from your kind, good help. I have had great success ordering from sprinkler warehouse, and consider you all my sprinkler gurus.

I bought a Florida home about 2 years ago, and have since then replaced all 4 of my valves, and many rotors and sprayers, moved some pipes, etc,etc. I seem to have about 3-4 different brands of rotors in the yard, and would like to make them all the same down the road.

I see they are having a blowout sale now, and although I will not be back there until May, I think I'll place an order.

I think I'm deciding between the Hunter PGP rotors and the Rainbird 5004Plus. I think both of them seem easy to adjust. The rainbirds are a bit less expensive, and their ads and brochures make them sound like the best, better spray, bigger droplets, greener grass, you can turn it off at the head, etc,etc......they sound like the best, but then again, Hunters seem to be better liked by the pros. What are your opinions?? I'd like to order a bunch to start my "upgrade", getting rid of the K-12's, etc.

I also have some K-12's in the yard, but I can't seem to adjust them, the tool I have does not go deep enough, so I don't like them. I also have some Nelson Pros....I did figure them out....not too hard moving those little fingers, etc.

I'm down there a month at a time, and usually down there in May and October. It seems every time I'm down there I'm replacing a rotor or two due to the mowers hurting them. For that reason, I think I'll order a few of those swivel connector things.

I also may order a new rain gauge.....that Hunter Rainclik looks like it is fancier then the regular one I now have.

I thank you in advance for your kind direction.

Frank D.
"He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 13th 2008, 6:45am

Hunters have the more reliable gear drive, and that's what matters most.

faithfulfrank

Advanced Member

Saturday, December 13th 2008, 7:04am

Thank you Wet Boots......
I appreciate the input.

Any other words of wisdom on the rain gauge, etc? I was leaning towards the rainbirds, but perhaps I should stick with the hunters.......I'm probably thinking too much about this.......

Frank D.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 13th 2008, 10:35pm

If pressure is an issue go with rainbird 5004 Plus.

If Pressure is no issue go with Hunter.

Hunter needs 50 PSI to do the job.

Rainbird needs 45PSI and some times less but check the spec's.

:thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, December 13th 2008, 10:37pm

Hunter Miniclick all the way.
NO choice.

Hands down.

Don't get Rainbirds Rainsensor.

Get the Miniclik!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wire it to the timer. Don't wire it in the field.

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

faithfulfrank

Advanced Member

Sunday, December 14th 2008, 6:26am

Thank you. Pressure is not an issue...I do not know what my pressure is, but it seems strong and does the job.

Boy, I do not see any difference between the mini-clik and the rain-clik. I did not mean to throw you off....I wasn't thinking about rain-bird rain sensors...I was looking at the Hunter rainclik, but after reading your post, I looked at the mini-clik. I can't see any difference between the miniclik and the rainclik.

I actually think I already have that miniclik. I don't remember because I'm only down there a few times a year.

So the Hunter PGP is better then the Rainbird 5004plus.......thank you all for the good help !

Frank D.

JimLewis

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 4:16pm

If you have anything over 45 psi than pressure definitely IS an issue. Because a Hunter PGP at, say 75 psi will work, but you'll use 30% more water to accomplish the same thing that the Rain Bird 5004 PRS head would. Almost everyone has more than 45 psi, so almost always the RB 5004 PRS heads will save you money. It's just a matter of how much. You can make the system even MORE efficient by coupling the 5004 PRS rotors with Rain Birds MPR nozzles. That duo is the most efficient rotor system in the world.

And I disagree with the statement that the Hunter rotors are more reliable. They have a longer track record, because they've been around for over a decade. Whereas the RB 5004 PRS is still relatively new. But I've never had a callback on a RB 5000 series head in the last few years. And that's saying something. I think they are equally as reliable. But the benefit is more water efficient (in the PRS model) and the ability to team it up with the MPR nozzles to make them more efficient, and most of all the price is better!
Jim Lewis
Lewis Landscape Services - Oregon

Portland Oregon Sprinkler Repair

faithfulfrank

Advanced Member

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 4:46pm

I appreciate your imput.
I placed my order a few months ago.....and I had it shipped to my Florida home, so I don't remember what I ended up buying...
When I'm down there in May I guess i'll see. Water is so expensive down there that I'd love to save money....If I did buy the Hunter ones, hopefully I will not regret it. Using less water and still having the lawn look healthy would be great.

Frank D.

faithfulfrank

Advanced Member

Wednesday, February 11th 2009, 4:52pm

I just looked it up......I bought the hunter PGP-ADG rotors........
Hopefully I can adjust them well and not waste too much water.

I hope there is not too much of a difference in water usage......

Frank D.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, February 12th 2009, 7:28am

If the system is properly designed, you won't be wasting water. Don't skimp on pipe size. In the days before rotor heads with built-in pressure regulators, one would simply throttle down the flow control on a zone valve, if there was too much pressure in a zone. And since I believe you are going to be using anti-syphon control valves, you do have the flow controls.

Rate this thread