You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dane1309

Starting Member

Saturday, January 31st 2009, 10:47pm

selecting sprayhead size

I have researched for some time now and haven't come across much discussion on the topic of choosing the size of sprayheads.
I'm designing my system right now and have a very irregular lawn with all my plantings and shrubs.
I'm going to use MPRotators and have some areas that are 100' by 50' and then several smaller areas. My choice is based on the matched pecipitation rate feature of these units.
My question is how does a person decide what size sprayheads to use when MP1000, 2000 and 3000's could be put in?
Other than cost of extra heads, should a 100' sidewalk have just a couple 3000's along it and then swith to 1000's to get the smaller areas or just use all 1000's.
I personally think using all the same heads would look better in operation by but would like other opinions on this.
Thanks

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, February 2nd 2009, 9:28pm

In theory, you just use which ever one you need at a particular location be cause you're supposed to be able to mix and match the MPRotators 1000, 2000, and 3000 because of the matched precipitation rates.

Obviously, where you can, you try to use 3000 just so you don't have to install as many heads.

But of course there can be all sorts of overriding factors. You should be designing to a particular expected flow rate per circuit, and therefore you have to make sure your choise of heads can support the required flow rate. However, changes in pressure at various heads can make this job difficult.

Personally, the thing I did with the MPRotators was to design it such that each head should have plenty of pressure (like 45psi) and then to better match all the heads, used the 30PSI pressure regulators (RB1800PRS).

In the end, there is no wrong way to do it so long as your flow rates and pressure losses can support the spray pattern you expect at the spray head.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 3rd 2009, 7:19am

Hunter makes a 40 psi sprayhead body for the MP Rotator.

Rate this thread