You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

slotshot

Unregistered

Sunday, February 15th 2009, 10:32am

Sprinkler/Spray head choice question

Well, we have just purchased a home that, as usual, has a long and narrow strip of lawn between the sidewalk and the road. The currently intalled sprinkler heads (2) are broken. They are installed quite close to each other, in the middle of this 1.5 foot by 40 foot area. I assume that one is meant to water in one direction and the other in the opposite direction.

I need to figure out what type of (I assume) pop-up, non-rotary, head and/or nozzle to install to cover this long skinny area without wasting a bunch of water on the sidewalk and street. Is there a style that waters a long and narrow area in one direction?

Or am I really off base??? If so, what do you recommend?

Thanks so much!

Thursday, February 26th 2009, 1:03pm

use a

Use a center strip toro nozzle. This or a side strip is what is meant to be used on long small areas. This is very easy to do. The center strip will probably work best.

www.irrigationsolutions.com

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, February 27th 2009, 8:49am

"Textbook" spray layout would use four sprays - two at the ends besides the existing ones in the middle. Each head would spray far enough to reach the next head. Unfortunately, for the sake of neatness, no one makes nozzles for really narrow strips anymore.

Friday, February 27th 2009, 12:01pm

NOT to correct you but

Yes, toro makes the center strip. use two of those and 2 end strips at the ens of the run. That will do the job. Toro still makes the center strip.

www.irrigationsolutions.com

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 3rd 2009, 3:25pm

RE: Sprinkler/Spray head choice question

..purchased a home that, as usual, has a long and narrow strip of lawn ... 1.5 foot by 40 foot area...

... what type of ... head ... to install ... without wasting a bunch of water on the sidewalk and street...

To the best of my knowledge, no such sprinkler head exists. Things like the 'center strip nozzle' that has been recommended (and others that I have seen that are similar) all have a spray pattern that is MUCH wider than just 1.5 foot. Usually these things are more like 4 foot, so over half the water one of these strip nozzles is putting out is going to be wasted on either the sidewalk or the road/gutter.

The home owners in our developement that have installed sprinkler systems have just installed nozzles along the road and act like the sidewalk isn't there. The only other choise is to either not irrigate the 1.5 wide strip, or use some sort of drip irrigation on it. Otherwise, there just doesn't seem to be a good way to irrigate such a narrow strip without wasting water.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 4th 2009, 9:34am

RE: NOT to correct you but

Yes, toro makes the center strip. use two of those and 2 end strips at the ens of the run. That will do the job. Toro still makes the center strip.
You aren't correcting anyone. Instead, you are ignoring the OP's stated desire for no overspray. One-and-a-half-foot-wide strips aren't the concern of any spray manufacturer anymore. Use 4x28 center-strip nozzles, and you get overspray.

Now, if the OP wants to eliminate all strip overspray, he goes to buried dripline. Or, he could install more than four strip heads in the area, and space them closer together, and then throttle down the coverage. It might manage to provide coverage with less overthrow.

Rate this thread