You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

India

Unregistered

Tuesday, March 17th 2009, 7:07am

Battery Operated Contoller?

Hello, I was wondering if there was a controller that would stay on even when the power went out. I know there are controllers that have "memory", I looking for one that will work with, say, Rolling black out?

Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 17th 2009, 9:03am

Just purchase a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) and plug the controller into it. Same thing that keeps a computer going during a blackout, but for a longer time, since a controller will only be drawing 20 watts or so of power when a sprinkler zone is running.

mrfixit

Wednesday, March 18th 2009, 12:10am

Rolling blackouts

I'm just curious as to why you're worried about rolling blackouts? Those only happen during peak hours on hot days and only last a couple of hours. You probably shouldn't be watering when it's 100 degrees out anyway. Your back up battery should be sufficient for rolling blackouts.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 18th 2009, 5:06pm

Hunter has a battery operated hybrid XC controller but you need to use special solenoids with the valves.

This can be a good solution.

It is pretty new. Regular batteries.

Good Luck

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

sanzen96

Saturday, March 21st 2009, 3:34pm

they have a variety of timers that run soley on batterys. the hunter hybrid is good, but check around.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, March 25th 2009, 10:16pm

I've got to agree with MrFixIt and WetBoots on this one.

Do you REALLY need to insure exact irrigation times that well? Is the power that unreliable?

If the answer is yes, then WetBoot's idea is most likely the easiest to impliment for about the cost of a new controller.