You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

need help

Unregistered

Wednesday, April 22nd 2009, 11:02am

wiring

What is the recomended maximum single strand length/distance for 18 ga
(18-4) irrigation wiring using a Hunder Pro PC-300i controller and
1-1/2 " and 2" Hunter PGV valves?
(I already have some of the 2"
PGV valves on hand (removed from another other job), I am assumming the
voltage and load is all the same PGV 2" and PGV 1-1/2"?)
What is
maximum length if I double it up by parraleing 2 each 18 ga circuits
from the 18-4 wire bundle and run a two pair bundle to each valve
instead of sharing bundle?
Can I run 1 each PSR-22 Hunter pump start relay and 2 each PGV valves at the same time?
I
am planning on runing 1 each low water usage flower bed circuits at the
same time as one of the smaller irrigation circuits so there will be
adequate water flow thru the pump. I am using existing installed
Berekley 2hp pump 48 gallons per minute at approx. 43 psi.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 22nd 2009, 2:23pm

Well, according to these web sites...
http://www.watertips.com/info/FAQvalv.htm#wiresize
http://www.watertips.com/instruct/RBwire.htm

...it would seem that a single 18ga wire will work for distances from 600 to 3000 feet depending upon the pressure in your system. Now I must admit, I don't understand the huge difference (600 v 3000) just because water pressure doubled, and that information is based on Rainbird valves (the Hunter valves are a little different).

One other thing to keep in mind, the numbers listed is for total wire length. So that's from the controller, to the valve, and back. So when the chart indicates 18ga wire is good to 600 feet, that means the controller must be within 300 wire feet of the valve (300 feet of control wire from controller to valve, plus another 300 feet of common wire from valve back to controller). Additionally, these numbers assume only one valve is operating at a time.

So it looks like safe distances (controller to valve) would be the following:
18ga: 300 feet
16ga: 365 feet
14ga: 430 feet
12ga: 480 feet

If you double up two 18ga wires, that would be about equivilent to one 15ga wire. So based on the numbers quoted above, two 18ga wires should be good to about 400 feet.

If the chart @ 80psi can be believed, then two 18ga wires should be good upto about one-thrid of a mile.