You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Saturday, April 25th 2009, 9:48am

More Ancient Valves...

Hi,
I've an old system (maybe 1975) with 11 zones and two boxes of the small Hardie 700 series valves. I have meticulously reordered parts for years and have gotten quite good at repairing them and replacing tiny parts. I've replaced the controller myself and repaired replacement valves added later. Can't find parts anymore.
So the time has come to replace the entire manifolds. One bad non-brand valve is unrepairable and the rest have more problems every year.
I thought about using the Toro EZ-Flo Plus Male X Barb 1" with Flo Control. We have poly 1" pipe outflow lines and 1" pvc inflow. Some are hard to access but not impossible.
Will these large new valves even fit six to a box? Will the barb be difficult to fit into a shortened piece of poly where a valve was already replaced? I need the easiest installation, believing I can build the manifold myself.
I was going to carefully measure, and photograph each configuration Then I was going to build the manifolds on tables, not gluing anything until I was sure it would fit properly. I also hope to add a twelfth zone with a dead end until I can trench it under the driveway.
The two drip valves have filters on them, I doubt they will fit with another valve added and the drain faucet.
I should add a few photos.
Any suggestions? I'm kind of worried about this project but I'd be proud to do it myself, thoughtfully.

Ps
Just went shopping and found Jumbo boxes, in case the new valves are too large. Someone suggested using two standard boxes side by side, which might make it possible in one group, to buy 2 prefab manifolds of three each.
The other group has no room for two but might be enlarged.

Pss
Last Ditch emergency fix: Plumber's epoxy on the leaky valve. Because it leaks, it airlocks, and the only way to get the zone to flow is to use the screw to release the air.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "WakeUpMaggy" (Apr 26th 2009, 9:45am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 26th 2009, 8:20am

Don't expect any valve to be a physical match for a 3/4-inch Hardie 700. Just excavate the valve area and fit in new manifolds. Use elbow fittings to match things up, if necessary.

Really advanced students can fit as many as a dozen standard 1-inch valves in a jumbo box, but beginners should not try to get too creative.

Sunday, April 26th 2009, 10:12am

Hey thanks.
I have 12 Irritrol 2400 TF in my shopping basket. Much better price than the local Rainbirds at $28 per.These are 4", the hardies were 3 1/2". Is there a better choice? Should I get slip instead? Does slip save space?

How does one attach a slip fitting valve, glue? Time to go get some parts and start playing with them. Local small town Ace Hardware is a gold mine of information. (I've even had employees offer to come to house and repack faucet parts or loan me their Dremel.)

Now because there are two zones with drip filters on them in the existing 5 zone box, how about I separate the filters to another accessible part of the water line, after valve before drippers, instead of trying to fit them in the box? I could also extend the drain to the outside using a small round box.(?)

Ok irritrol still makes the 700 series but the 1" is also large bonnet and they are expensive. I dont think it would be wise to downsize to 3/4

I measured my boxes, the lid is 14 1/2X 19 1/2 so they are bigger than standard. One box the valves are set deep and there's lots of room, the other is set shallow and the valves barely fit in that configuration.
Trying to add photos, one has leaves in it, You can get the gist.

Thanks,

This post has been edited 4 times, last edit by "WakeUpMaggy" (Apr 26th 2009, 7:54pm)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 26th 2009, 6:17pm

I assumed you already had the 3/4-inch Hardie valves ("small Hardie valves") ~ the larger sizes were never price-competitive.

Skip the slip valves for now. Threaded valves will allow you to undo a mistake. PVC unions might help you fit the manifolds in. On the outlet side, you may have more digging to do.

By the way, your first choice (Toro Ez-Flo) is basically the same thing as the Irritrol jar-top. Same manufacturer. Same repair parts.

Sunday, April 26th 2009, 8:32pm

Hmm, I had 3/4" Hardie valves at the last house and assumed these were 1" as the water lines are 1". These are small. Perhaps Hardie never made a "small" 1" valve and that these have 3/4 adapters. Guess I won't know til I take them out. All the replacement parts I saved from the 3/4 fit these.

I FOUND THE REPAIR PARTS AT LAST FOR HARDIE, http://www.basicirrigation.com/product_info.php?products_id=1498&osCsid=dd9989045cfdcb363b641359c867eec7
So if I can just maybe replace or repair the one odd valve we're back in business for years.

My epoxy fix didn't work. The odd valve I tried to fix is grey, has 8 low quality ph screws that get stripped easily by the screwdriver. It has steel crescents under the screws and a tiny protruding flap on the diaphram. Since it has no markings I can't find the right parts for it. Has a tall flow control and a bleed screw. I can't upload pics no matter how small I make them. I know it was replaced before 2002. It also has a hex shaped inner solenoid, different from all the rest and incompatible with what I can get locally. So what could it be? Has a large spring on top of the diaphram. I'd like to just replace the bonnet, obviously, with better quality screws. I got mass gravel out of it using a cotton ball down deep.

I really don't want to do anything but fix that one valve right now so I can my garden in and worry about the rest later. Out of time. The Hardie leaks are insignificant so far. I can do the manifolds next winter, possibly. Or hire an unemployed guy who knows what he's doing. One plumbing company wanted $1000 for a four valve manifold some years back, crazy!
I assumed you already had the 3/4-inch Hardie valves ("small Hardie valves") ~ the larger sizes were never price-competitive.

Skip the slip valves for now. Threaded valves will allow you to undo a mistake. PVC unions might help you fit the manifolds in. On the outlet side, you may have more digging to do.

By the way, your first choice (Toro Ez-Flo) is basically the same thing as the Irritrol jar-top. Same manufacturer. Same repair parts.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "WakeUpMaggy" (Apr 27th 2009, 8:55am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 27th 2009, 5:41pm

Your grey valve is a Richdel R-204, or one of its descendents. Easily repaired, or just swap the guts with an Irritrol 205

Monday, April 27th 2009, 6:53pm

Super!
Getting an irritrol 205 on ebay, I hope. Ordering spares for the little Hardies, I think I'll make it through the season again.
Thanks you've been a big help. :)
Your grey valve is a Richdel R-204, or one of its descendents. Easily repaired, or just swap the guts with an Irritrol 205

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 2:54am

The nice folks that run this site also sell the Irritrol 205
http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Irritrol-205-Series-Valves-p/205tf.htm

Tuesday, April 28th 2009, 4:53am

Ok Ok, yes I have one in my cart already. :)
Ebay is just so easy because of PayPal, but I see that the seller didn't yet accept my lowball offer, so best price is still here.
I just hope I can get those cruddy screws out one last time. It's deep in the corner, a tiny screwdriver has to blindly be jammed in tight, then a wrench used to painstakingly turn each screw. :cursing: A Sawzall is a grave temptation on that valve.
Thanks Again!

Monday, May 18th 2009, 8:29am

I found a new irritrol 205 locally so guess what? The bonnet fit, nice hex screws that can use a socket, but the base is not a match. The new one has a much deeper diaphram and lower inflow rim on the base. X(
So I took the old one, scrubbed all the parts, used the new screws, the old hex solenoid and somehow got it working again. WHEW! Was going to be one long painful summer.
Ok Ok, yes I have one in my cart already. :)
Ebay is just so easy because of PayPal, but I see that the seller didn't yet accept my lowball offer, so best price is still here.
I just hope I can get those cruddy screws out one last time. It's deep in the corner, a tiny screwdriver has to blindly be jammed in tight, then a wrench used to painstakingly turn each screw. :cursing: A Sawzall is a grave temptation on that valve.
Thanks Again!

Rate this thread