You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

willyg

Starting Member

Thursday, April 30th 2009, 9:19am

New Member, re duty taxes

Hi all. I'm new to the site and new to sprinkler stuff so I thought this would be a good way to learn and hopefully successfully accomplish a diy sprinkler system installation this summer. I'm in Toronto, Ontario but finishing a new cottage on Georgian Bay near Midland, ON.

I'm in the process of putting together an order (around $750 so far) and although the prices are competative if I get hit with large Canadian Duty and taxes it might be better to buy local. My question therefore is am I likely to have to pay duty on the order and if so what percentage. No doubt I will have to pay federal GST of about 7% but I'm unsure re Provincial Taxes.

My understanding of the duty situation is that products manufactured in the US or Mexico are not subject to duty so I'm looking mostly at Rainbird stuff and need to know were it comes from. Appreciate any help you can give me.

Will

murrsue

Friday, July 10th 2009, 4:26pm

Will, I'm in the same boat being in Canada as well. If the product is manufactured in Mexico or the USA there is no duty because of free trade agreements. I'm assuming Rainbird stuff is made in the US but I don't know for sure.

Anyone reading this could you check on a cardbard box of Rainbird stuff and see where it's manufactured?? There should be some kind of markings as it's required by law.

murrsue

Sunday, July 12th 2009, 8:20pm

I've found that Hunter are made in the USA and Rainbird in mexico so neither is subject to Canadian duties because of the N.America free trade agreement.

Rate this thread