You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

gvid

Sunday, June 8th 2003, 5:43pm

Dual/Alternate source - Backflow prevention

I am planning a sprinkler system that will have the ability to be fed from either an irrigation ditch source(primary supply) or my well pump that is the house supply (back-up supply). Under normal conditions only one supply will be turned on at any one time.

I would like to design for the worst case situation, i.e.- Someone has both supplies turned on at once and the well pump shuts down for some reason, which pumps ditch water into my well and throughout the house system. There is no problem with pumping well water into the ditch.

What back flow preventer will make this a safe system?

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, June 9th 2003, 4:27am

Dont take my word on this because ... well you can see the ramifications. I would think a double check valve would work in this situation. It would be placed on the main line upstream from where the drianage ditch mainline would enter the system. I have never done this and I am not a certified plumber so see what other responses you get.

Thanks,

Pete

gvid

Tuesday, June 10th 2003, 2:56am

I am looking at the FEBCO 860 or 880 installed between the well and the sprinkler system. Is this adequate, or is it overkill?

Rays Sprinklers

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 14th 2003, 2:53pm

I have never had this problem, it seems okay to me!

Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers
Thanks
Ray
Rays Above and Beyond Automatic Lawn Sprinklers

BrettCB01

Thursday, July 24th 2003, 3:54pm

The only thing you are trying to prevent is ditch water and effluent from entering your well supply or into your household drinking water....no matter what the combinations are. So all you have to do is install the proper backflow device, dictated by local codes, or your preference (if in doubt RP (reduced pressure backflow preventer)devices are the best...also about $200 Ouch!)PAST the point where your well water line supplies your house. Then, effluent cannot enter either water supply under any circumstances. There is much controversy over which kinds of BFP's are best. I see no resolution to this debate any time soon. I used a double check on my system but all of my heads are below my supply. Other instances where water flows uphill from your BFP would warrant more aggresive devices such as an RP.

Rate this thread