You are not logged in.

Stryker

Unregistered

Monday, May 4th 2009, 7:33am

New System

Hi,

Now that spring has arrived I am getting on the gloves and emplacing a system. I have about three weeks till my sod is installed and I want to do this right. My last system had Toro heads; they were ok but want something better overall. I have had two manufactures recommended to me; Rain Bird and Hunter. Your chance to sell me on a product… should I go with Rain Bird or Hunter heads?

Thanks, Chad

mrfixit

Monday, May 4th 2009, 1:14pm

Flip a coin.

Hi Chad, I'm going under the assumption you're talking spray heads. You're right in your conclusion that Rainbird and Hunter are a better pop up than Toro. Both the 1800 series and the Pro Spray are excellent sprinklers. You can't go wrong with either one.

I've found the Rainbird seal will start to go bad in about 10 years if they get a lot of direct sunlight. Otherwise they last much longer. I also think the Rainbird is a tad easier to work with only because of the permanent seal set in the cap. The Hunter is in two seperate pieces. That's not an issue though because you rarely have to take the cap off. You may wonder how long the seal in a Hunter will last. So do I. I don't have any customers with Pro Sprays that are 10 years old yet. So far they have minimal problems. I do know the spray pattern on the Hunter is very sharp. Meaning if it say 180 degrees, that's what you get. Rainbird isn't exact in my opinion. But, you can put the Hunter nozzel on the Rainbird body. So Chad, now that I've thoroughly confused you, flip a coin.

Candance

Saturday, May 9th 2009, 2:18pm

RE: New System

Hi,
Just in case you are not simply talking about fixed spray heads.
We have been installing the Rain Bird 5004 Rotor this spring and have been impressed
with the sprinkler so far. The sprinkler is fairly easy to adjust.
We normally install the Toro 800 rotor and have had fairly good luck with it since they first came out with it.
But because of the price difference we thought we would give the Rain Bird 5004 a try.
However I think the Hunter PGP Rotor is a good sprinkler also.
I think Hunter, Rainbird and Toro are all pretty comparable.

Rate this thread