You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Newz54

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 9:17am

Rainbird 1800 vs Hardtop Obit

I was all set to buy a bunch of rainbird 1800 heads when I saw this orbit head that has a hard brass cap. Seems like a great idea since my gardener is always damaging my heads along the sidewalk. These weren't the typical cheap obit heads, I think they were about 4 bucks and seemed well made. Am I asking for trouble going with the orbits. I guess if I set the rainbird spray heads right at grade it would be harder to get damaged.

Also....are the rainbird dual spray nozzles worth the extra cost. They claim these nozzles spray two arcs ensuring better coverage close to the head. Prone to clogs? :P

Finally, are adjustable arc nozzles (0 to 360 degrees) reliable or should I stick with fixed arcs whenever possible?

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 9:46am

You have answered most of your questions and I will confirm for you. Go with the rainbird heads if that is your option Vs. orbit. Set the heads correctly and it shouldn't matter what the heads are made out of. If it were such a good idea (making the heads out of a metal or stronger material) Hunter and Rainbird would be doing it too.

The adjustable nozzles are a good idea (only when absolutely necessary) otherwise go with the fixed pattern. If you need less that a 180 degree you can also use the T, and I think they have a 3/4 circle fixed pattern.

Dan :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Newz54

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 9:55am

Thanks for the quick response. You confirmed what I suspected. Have you had experience with the rainbird dual spray nozzles? Are they more prone to clogs because they have two exit points?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 16th 2009, 10:01am

The Undercut nozzles are great in many applications, but if you design your sprinkler system to have head to head coverage you should not need the undercut or the U nozzle. They are a good fix for poorly designed systems.

Let me know if you have any more questions

D
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Rate this thread