You are not logged in.

garyb

Sunday, May 31st 2009, 9:50am

water spitting out from all 4 test cocks when installing Febco 860-100

I just installed my 1" RP, here is the layout:
[font='&quot']I have a 3/4" copper inlet coming from the street to outside the house. I have a 3/4" 90 deg elbow which points up, a 1.5" nipple, changed the size to 1", a Wilkins 600 pressure regulator, filter, elbow, Febco 860-100 RP, PGV-101JT-MM Hunter Master valve, 90 deg elbow pointing down, 12" long nipple, 90 degree elbow which then gets changed to 1.5" pipe (which I don't have hooked up yet.
[/font]
In testing the Febco, once I turn the water on from the source (master valve is closed) it starts shooting out water from all 4 of the test cocks. If I turn the master valve on manually, they stop spitting out water, but once I turn the master valve off the test costs spit out water again. I noticed that there are ball valves under the test cocks, I adjusted the center valve to stop the spitting, so am I suppose to adjust all of the valves to stop the water shooting out or is there something missing that I am suppose to do? I adjusted zones 3&4 to off, so none of the test cocks spit any water any more. Does it matter if the pressure regulator is mounted in front of the RP?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "garyb" (Jun 1st 2009, 11:27am)

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Monday, June 1st 2009, 8:48am

Under normal operation, test cocks should be closed. While I'm not familier with the febco model you reference (I'm just a DIYer who had easier access to Watts components), the test cocks I've seen are openned and closed with a screw driver. To close them, the screw driver slot should be perpendicular to the orientation of the test cock.

secutanudu

Tuesday, June 9th 2009, 5:31am

This just happened to me too. Water was shooting out of one of the test cocks, thanks for your post, HooKooDooKu. I I thought my double check valve was faulty. I didn't notice the little screw on front was facing the wrong way.

Monday, November 2nd 2009, 9:15pm

The valves oftentimes are shipped with the test cocks open.
Irrigation Contractor Since 1997

Licensed Irrigator, Licensed Backflow Tester
sprinkler system austin