You are not logged in.

DIY-Mom-in-MA

Unregistered

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 8:21am

Brand/Model Advice Please - Replacing Broken Rotors, Valves, Controller

Hi All - I need to replace a whole bunch of rotors, a couple of valves and the controller in a 20+ yo system.

System:
Old (very) Weathermatic 11-zone controller, 8 zones in use
Rainbird 100-JTV master valve (the threaded inlet just cracked on the valve),
Weathermatic 12024E zone valves (at least this is the current model number for them).
5 zones have four 4" pop-up rotors each. 3 zones are combinations of assorted spray heads.
Water Pressure very good all over (maybe too high)

Rotors: A bunch of the rotors have been gone over with a lawnmower and need replacing. Any recommendations on Hunter vs Rainbird and any model suggestions? Hunter has the PGP and the new PGP-Ultra ... is the Ultra worth the extra couple of dollars? I don't know anything about Rainbird - advice please?

Also - most of the damage to the rotors is at the top. Can a new unit just be dropped into the existing housing that is connected to the water line? Can a Hunter unit go into a Rainbird housing? Rainbird into a Hunter unit? (I'd rather avoid having to dig down to the supply line connection to replace the entire unit).

Valves: I need to replace the Master Valve (just beyond the backflow preventer). The threaded inlet just cracked and the system had to be shut down. The current valve is a very short valve - only 4" long. Also, I don't think it has flow control. Is flow control needed in a master valve? Any brand suggestions? Should I just replace with the same model to ensure it fits in the (very small) box?

Controllers: I need to replace the controller and I think I've narrowed it down to the Hunter SRC900i and the Rainbird STPi 900. And comments one way or another? I don't need a 'dummy-proof' system but I'd like one that doesn't require engineering and meteorological degrees.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 2:47pm

For valves, an Irritrol 205 will be repairable forever, and they are not known for cracking. For heads, the field is wide open - you replace entire heads, not just the innards, unless it happens you have the exact same head as the one being replaced. For a controller by Hunter, consider the Pro-C, as it has some additional features that can pay back the extra investment.

debo

Tuesday, June 9th 2009, 2:36pm

For valves, an Irritrol 205 will be repairable forever, and they are not known for cracking. For heads, the field is wide open - you replace entire heads, not just the innards, unless it happens you have the exact same head as the one being replaced. For a controller by Hunter, consider the Pro-C, as it has some additional features that can pay back the extra investment.
I must disagree since "repairable forever" will outlive you.;

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 9th 2009, 9:09pm

That valve design dates back around forty years - it will still be around when everyone reading this page today is worm food.

Rate this thread