You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DIY-Mom-in-MA

Unregistered

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 8:21am

Brand/Model Advice Please - Replacing Broken Rotors, Valves, Controller

Hi All - I need to replace a whole bunch of rotors, a couple of valves and the controller in a 20+ yo system.

System:
Old (very) Weathermatic 11-zone controller, 8 zones in use
Rainbird 100-JTV master valve (the threaded inlet just cracked on the valve),
Weathermatic 12024E zone valves (at least this is the current model number for them).
5 zones have four 4" pop-up rotors each. 3 zones are combinations of assorted spray heads.
Water Pressure very good all over (maybe too high)

Rotors: A bunch of the rotors have been gone over with a lawnmower and need replacing. Any recommendations on Hunter vs Rainbird and any model suggestions? Hunter has the PGP and the new PGP-Ultra ... is the Ultra worth the extra couple of dollars? I don't know anything about Rainbird - advice please?

Also - most of the damage to the rotors is at the top. Can a new unit just be dropped into the existing housing that is connected to the water line? Can a Hunter unit go into a Rainbird housing? Rainbird into a Hunter unit? (I'd rather avoid having to dig down to the supply line connection to replace the entire unit).

Valves: I need to replace the Master Valve (just beyond the backflow preventer). The threaded inlet just cracked and the system had to be shut down. The current valve is a very short valve - only 4" long. Also, I don't think it has flow control. Is flow control needed in a master valve? Any brand suggestions? Should I just replace with the same model to ensure it fits in the (very small) box?

Controllers: I need to replace the controller and I think I've narrowed it down to the Hunter SRC900i and the Rainbird STPi 900. And comments one way or another? I don't need a 'dummy-proof' system but I'd like one that doesn't require engineering and meteorological degrees.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 3rd 2009, 2:47pm

For valves, an Irritrol 205 will be repairable forever, and they are not known for cracking. For heads, the field is wide open - you replace entire heads, not just the innards, unless it happens you have the exact same head as the one being replaced. For a controller by Hunter, consider the Pro-C, as it has some additional features that can pay back the extra investment.

debo

Tuesday, June 9th 2009, 2:36pm

For valves, an Irritrol 205 will be repairable forever, and they are not known for cracking. For heads, the field is wide open - you replace entire heads, not just the innards, unless it happens you have the exact same head as the one being replaced. For a controller by Hunter, consider the Pro-C, as it has some additional features that can pay back the extra investment.
I must disagree since "repairable forever" will outlive you.;

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 9th 2009, 9:09pm

That valve design dates back around forty years - it will still be around when everyone reading this page today is worm food.

Rate this thread