You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, June 21st 2009, 11:32am

Zone 5 does not shut off

I have Rainbird controller ESP-12-LX+ in ground sprinkler system.

Recently I am having a problem with station 5. When this station is done and station 6 starts, station 5 remains on. I manually started both stations and worked properly. Other times it would not.

I then did a “Rapid Station Test Routine”

It indicated “Open MV” then proceeded to all 12 stations and then said “CHECK”

I then switched rain sensor on. Indicator light came on due to recent rainfall.

I did another test this time with rain sensor on. Test started with:

“MV ON” then continued showing each station indicating:

“OPEN 1, Open 2 etc all 12 stations. Then showed “CHECK”

Is it possible that the controller could be bad?
NOTE: I have city water so no MV PUMP is installed
Your help is greatly appreciated

Gerard

mrfixit

Sunday, June 21st 2009, 5:24pm

There's at least a dozen specific reasons why a valve wont shut off. Depends on the model. Basically it's the controller, wiring issue or the valve.

I'm going to take a stab and say the diaphragm is getting old. If your valve has a flow control try turning it clockwise a bit and leaving it. Maybe a full turn or two. If you turn it too far the sprinklers wont have enough water to work. Adjust it while the valve is on if you can. This will help the valve shut off. It might simply need a new diaphragm.

You might want to try switching the number 5 valve wire with which ever valve comes on last. This can help a valve shut off because the valve is under full pressure.

I do have a couple questions. How do you turn the water off to valve number 5? Does it go off when number 6 goes off? Is number 6 the last valve to run?

Try this also. Next time 5 sticks on, disconnect the number 5 wire from the controller. If the valve continues to run it's not the controller.

I could go on for an hour so try these things first. Good luck!

Monday, June 22nd 2009, 8:56am

Zone 5 won't shut off

When system was operating properly No. 5 valve shuts off at the end of its timed cycle and valve 6 starts. Also have 12 stations. Each station has 3 to 4 valves. Station 12 is the last to run. The valves are DV or DVF. In the valve manual that I have It says to open the internal bleed turn the solenoid handle counterclockwise 1/4 to 1/2 turn. Be sure to retighten the solenoid completely to keep it from "weeping". It also has a stem to increase or decrease the flow and an external bleed valve. I hope this info is helpful.

We have been having rain here for the past few weeks and won't clear until the end of this week. It will be a few days before I try your suggessions.

Again thanks so much for your help.

Gerard

Monday, November 2nd 2009, 8:52pm

RE: Zone 5 does not shut off

I have Rainbird controller ESP-12-LX+ in ground sprinkler system.

Recently I am having a problem with station 5. When this station is done and station 6 starts, station 5 remains on. I manually started both stations and worked properly. Other times it would not.

I then did a “Rapid Station Test Routine”

It indicated “Open MV” then proceeded to all 12 stations and then said “CHECK”

I then switched rain sensor on. Indicator light came on due to recent rainfall.

I did another test this time with rain sensor on. Test started with:

“MV ON” then continued showing each station indicating:

“OPEN 1, Open 2 etc all 12 stations. Then showed “CHECK”

Is it possible that the controller could be bad?
NOTE: I have city water so no MV PUMP is installed
Your help is greatly appreciated

Gerard

My vote is that your rain-bird valve has debris in it (#5). Ive never had a esp lx fail to where it would intermittenly run one zone then turn off. I have had them fail and always send voltage to a zone, but not intermittenly.

Rebuild your number five valve and flush it good, and give that a try.
Irrigation Contractor Since 1997

Licensed Irrigator, Licensed Backflow Tester
sprinkler system austin

Rate this thread