You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

venoy34

Starting Member

Monday, June 29th 2009, 12:12pm

Replaacement Controller

I have been using a Rainbird ESP 6 for a number of years and have been using it in the manual mode due to a prblem with the scheduling feature. This past week the controller has started blowing fuses.This after completition of a comple cycle ( I have 6 stations). QUESTION. I have ordered the ESP 6 TM for a replacement and was assured that this was the correct replacement. Now the #1 Sprinkler/Watering system company here in town is tellling me that they no longer make a replacement for the ESP 6 and that any unit ordered will be rebuilt.

Has anyone had any experience replacing the older ESP6 with the ESP6 TM

Your response appreciated.

Venoy34

mrfixit

Monday, June 29th 2009, 4:53pm

ESP

You shouldn't have any problems swapping out the wiring as long as it's hooked up correctly now. It should be self-explanitory where everything goes. I believe the TM is an indoor controller. I believe the ESP6 is in a cabinet. So if it's indoors you'll have no problem.

As far as blowing the fuse goes did you try running the controller with no wires hooked up to it? I haven't seen a controller do what you've described. Blowing a fuse AFTER everything has run. Strange.

Don't worry about the new TM controller being rebuit. I highly doubt this is the case. Supposing it is rebuilt. The controller would carry the same warranty as a new one. No worries.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 1st 2009, 9:34pm

it sounds like you may not have a timer problem at all.

you may have a valve problem. this will cause you to blow fuses.

before you buy a timer check it out.

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Monday, November 2nd 2009, 8:47pm

RE: Replaacement Controller

I have been using a Rainbird ESP 6 for a number of years and have been using it in the manual mode due to a prblem with the scheduling feature. This past week the controller has started blowing fuses.This after completition of a comple cycle ( I have 6 stations). QUESTION. I have ordered the ESP 6 TM for a replacement and was assured that this was the correct replacement. Now the #1 Sprinkler/Watering system company here in town is tellling me that they no longer make a replacement for the ESP 6 and that any unit ordered will be rebuilt.

Has anyone had any experience replacing the older ESP6 with the ESP6 TM

Your response appreciated.

Venoy34
Yes, check your solenoids before assuming its the clock. Clocks almost never blow fuses without solenoid or field wiring problems. I havent heard anything about the esp clocks being discontinued.
Irrigation Contractor Since 1997

Licensed Irrigator, Licensed Backflow Tester
sprinkler system austin

JimLewis

Tuesday, December 29th 2009, 12:27am

I agree. Probably not a controller problem. More likely a field wiring problem or maybe a solenoid problem. First, I would check all the field wiring. May very well be that the wiring has become crossed or shorted somewhere over time.

Anyway, the ESP-6TM is basically the same, but does not have some of the features that the ESP-6 had. For instance, with an ESP-6 you could turn the dial to a certain zone and press "start" and just that zone would turn on. You can't do that with the 6-TM.

I would recommend the ESP-Mi controller. That's the MODULAR version of the ESP controller. It has all the features of the ESP-6 plus many more. It's also expandable so if you ever wanted to, you could add up to 13 zones total.
Jim Lewis
Lewis Landscape Services - Oregon

Portland Oregon Sprinkler Repair

Rate this thread