You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TInger17

Unregistered

Monday, July 6th 2009, 9:42am

Lightning impact - Toro-based system

Hi all. I need some diagnostic assistance please.

I have a 4-zone system that got whacked by a storm. The controller is a Toro El-6+, from the mid-1980's mounted in the garage.

After the strike, the following symptoms:

Controller clock motor runs. No sprinklers running, even manually.

Replaced fuse in Toro box, but otherwise appears to be unharmed. No physical damage I can see.

Now 3 of the zones can be forced to run manually, but the "system watering" light on the controller does not work. The fourth zone cannot be made to run.

Questions:

I assume the controller box is fried, and needs to be replaced anyways. Could this also prevent the 4th zone from being able to run like the other three? Or is this likely a zone valve problem.

Will any old controller replace the Toro? Any recommendations - lowes or home depot type solutions? I can certainly install this myself.

Thanks!

Tinger17

Unregistered

Wednesday, July 8th 2009, 3:47pm

RE: Lightning impact - Toro-based system

Well, I received and installed a new controller and all is well. So the transformer survived the hit, but the old circuit board did not.

Rate this thread