You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Dunlape

Monday, July 6th 2009, 12:11pm

Backflow device

I have a brandnew sprinkler system. the neighborhood water went out and here was my backflowdevice sqirting water out for 3 hours .Is that normal. I had water comming to the house at a very little rate and it was squirting out of the backflow in a pretty big amount,and that for 3 hours.Once the waterproblem in the nieghborhood was fixed it stopped squirting out of the overflow.Help ..doesnt that get expensive having water running for 3 hours? ?( Thanks

Dunlape

Monday, July 6th 2009, 4:57pm

RE: Backflow device

I have a brandnew sprinkler system. the neighborhood water went out and here was my backflowdevice sqirting water out for 3 hours .Is that normal. I had water comming to the house at a very little rate and it was squirting out of the backflow in a pretty big amount,and that for 3 hours.Once the waterproblem in the nieghborhood was fixed it stopped squirting out of the backflow.Help .well i guess they didnt fix it cause it is running like crazy again.Anyone know about these backflowdevices????

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 7th 2009, 9:54am

Simply sounds like the backflow device was doing what it's supposed to do.

My guess is that while the water company was "playing" with the water supply, the water pressure a times dropped. When that occured, the water in your irrigation pipes between the backflow device and the valves were at a higher pressure than the water supply, so the water was trying to flow backwards into the water supply. But the backflow prevented this from happening.

The only thing to possibly concern yourself with is that the spitting of water out of the backflow device is supposed to be a fail-safe. Basically, even if the check valves in the device become blocked by debrie, the device should still prevent the back flow of water by allowing water to exit from the relieve valve. Now I could see how rapid fluctuations in source pressure might cause this fail-safe to kick in, but it might have also been caused by trash that has been lodged in the device (from what I've seen, strainers are supposed to be installed up-stream of these devices to prevent such stuff).

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 7th 2009, 7:29pm

If you have a high supply pressure, some RPZs (post a photo of your backflow preventer) can dump water after a water-hammer occurence sets up a condition of oscillation.

Rate this thread