You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dr_frog

Unregistered

Saturday, July 11th 2009, 10:02am

Lightning struck my SPrinkler system

During a bad storm, lightning blew my indoor sprinkler control box off of my garage wall. Obviously it was damaged, so I ordered the correct parts and rewired and reattached all of the stations and new wiring and existing wiring from the stations to the indoor box. I turned on the power and all of the stations are receiving power as evidenced by a voltmeter. However, no sprinkler is actually coming on despite the control box saying it is on. I have tried each of the 6 stations and not one comes up. I am lost and have no idea what to do.

dr_frog

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 11th 2009, 1:06pm

field wiring is probably fried - that includes the solenoids on the valves.

dr_frog

Starting Member

Saturday, July 11th 2009, 3:09pm

I did go out to each valve box on the lawn and noticed the solenoids were blown... What is the next step in repair? Do I need to dig up the entire wiring system? I have a six station system. Do I need this to be professionally done? What do you think the cost of this type of repair would be?

mrfixit

Saturday, July 11th 2009, 10:40pm

I don't get a lot of calls due to lightning. The one time I can remember the controller was obviously fried. Black and melted. I wound up replacing the controller and the solenoids. The wiring survived. Try replacing the solenoids and see what happens.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 12th 2009, 6:24am

Replacing field wiring is labor-intensive, depending on how long a run it is. Do the obvious stuff first, like the solenoids, and that could very well be enough.

Rate this thread