You are not logged in.

fuat

Starting Member

Friday, July 17th 2009, 12:02pm

questions about future system

please excuse me if I'm in the wrong section... new here.

I want an underground system, but I have special needs. My yard is comprised of 2 sections. Front and back are both 80x110 ft. the front yard, I can do whatever is needed, but in the back yard... I have no desire to have sprinkler heads in the middle of the lawn. I only want them surrounding the area from the edges. is it possible to find rotor heads that will launch water 40 - 50 feet, so that the center of the yard will be irrigated as well?

Theoretically, I could then have two heads against the house and on the back line, and one head on the right and left sides... and everything should be covered. (provided that my water pressure is right)

Is this even possible, or am I asking too much performance from a sprinkler system?
Listen you evil little whippersnappers... if it lands in my yard, it's MINE!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, July 18th 2009, 8:08am

Even with hundreds extra to budget for your wants, do you have enough water pressure and flow to get the job done?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 21st 2009, 9:02am

Even with hundreds extra to budget for your wants, do you have enough water pressure and flow to get the job done?

A crude rule of thumb is that you need 1 PSI for every foot of throw you desired (and that's pressure at the head, not static pressure at the source). So to allow a throw of 50 feet, you need 50 PSI of WORKING pressure at the head (after all the pressure losses through pipes, valves, and backflows).

But the biggest issue, especially for a DIY job, is that general equipment available only goes upto about a 40 to 50 foot throw. However, sprinklers need what is known as head-to-head coverage. Basically, the amount of water deposited varies as the distance from the head (with most of the water going to the far end of the throw, not near as much water being deposited closer to the head). So to get even water coverage, you need to have the throw such that each sprinkler head is throwing water all the way to the next head.

In your case, to get head-to-head coverage without adding sprinklers in the middle of the yard, you need sprinkler heads that can throw 80 feet. Given the dimensions you are quoting, I don't see it happening unless there is something at the professional level (I'm just a DIY irrigation guy)... and even if there is something at the professional level, is sounds like you will have to have about 100 to 150 PSI static pressure for even the professional equipment to work.

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 22nd 2009, 1:26am

I'll put my two cents in here. Hunter PGP's are excellent rotors if installed just so. I highly doubt you will be able to eliminate all brown spots with just 6 heads. You might be able to get away with 3 heads per side. That's 8 heads total. Like the others said. You'll need them to be able to shoot up to 55 feet. It's possible you'll need 2 or 3 valves depending.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 22nd 2009, 5:43am

Unless the OP returns with pressure and flow numbers, it's a dead issue. Trying to gain additional distance with additional pressure works only if you can bring more flow with it.

Rate this thread