You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Boweavel

Starting Member

Saturday, August 15th 2009, 2:38pm

89-0114 Toro Replacement Solenoid Assembly w/wires

I have an older Toro system with the jar top valves and the three wire solenoids. My number 1 station was not coming up right away so I replaced the diaphram about a month ago. Now this same station will come on, but the heads won't pop up by themselves. I have to manually pull 1 or 2 heads up before they start working. I believe it's a solenoid issue. You can't get the old three wire solenoids anymore. They've been replaced by the two wire solenoid. How do I wire this new two wire solenoid in with three wires existing. Do two wires need to be doubled up. The new two wire solenoid has two red wires. Does it make a difference which one is used for common or power.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Saturday, August 15th 2009, 6:08pm

the common or white wire should be doubled up.

The red wire should stay the same.

common should come in to and out of the valve with the wire to the solenoid in the wire nut (3 wires in the wire nut) :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .
Red wire or zone wire connect with wire nut to the solenoid (2 wires in the wire nut).

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

mrfixit

Sunday, August 16th 2009, 3:58am

Do the heads pop up when you activate the valve manually at the valve? I'd be surprised if installing a new solenoid cures your problem. I'd look for leaking sprinkler caps. Installing new caps or swapping out the whole sprinkler/s might be the answer. Also look for a leak somewhere. Cracked or broken pipe/riser/fitting/sprinkler.