You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, August 16th 2009, 3:53pm

Drip Irrigation Design Questions

Newbie trying to design drip irrigation for flowers and vegetables in backyard. My first design question is this:

The planting areas are along the sides and back edges of the backyard. The house water faucet is at about the middle of the back of the house. There is 25 feet of grass between the water faucet and the closest point in the areas to be irrigated.

I plan to install a "T" fitting at the water faucet. One side of the "T" to the faucet and the other side to an anti-backup device right near the faucet. Output of the anti-backup device to the irrigation system. I believe I will need 3 zones. After researching posts in this forum, I think I should use an indoor Hunter Pro-C or Rainbird ESP controller mounted inside of the house where the water faucet is.

Should I install the 3 inline valves right by the water faucet and then run the output of each valve underground the 25' to the irrigation areas (3 separate PVC pipes at irrigation water pressure), then connect the irrigation hoses where the PVC pipes exit the ground?
-or-
Should I extend the output of the anti-backup device at the house underground via one PVC pipe to the irrigation area (house water pressure). Then install a pressure regulator to drop the pressure to irrigation pressure to the 3 valves in the irrigation area? In this case I would need to run burial control wires from the indoor timer, under 25' of ground to the irrigation area, then to the valves.

Thanks for any help with this preliminary design decision,
Sky