You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

CNephew435

Unregistered

Saturday, August 29th 2009, 11:53pm

Loud Noise when sprinklers go on??? help please...

We installed our sprinklers 2 years ago. they work great! we did 3/4" PVC and Ortho gear driven heads. one day last year we heard a thump on the wall in our house??? didnt know where it came from... (its a new house so no copper pipes) If you were in the bed room on one side of the house you heard it just as loud if you were in the bathroom on the other side of the house, wel last year we kinda heard it a little bit, now it sounds like someone hit the drywall hard and we cant find where its comming from?? its just when the sprinkler go on, not when we turn the hose on or the water in the house (toiler, shower etc..) just the sprinklers???? any help would be appreciated.

we live in Utah where it gets 0-10 deg. in the winer and up to 100 in the summer if that helps.... thank you so much for your time. ?(

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 30th 2009, 10:24am

It sounds like water hammer or as I have learned on this site surge. This may be doue to the velocity of the water through the pipes moving faster than 5 feet per second. This can be due to poor pipe sizing and fast closing valves. The point of connection to the irrigation system may not be at the meter, but off of the hose bib at the house, This can also be a problem. I have seen water hammer arrestors that may be an option to help. You may only experience this in times of low water pressure to the neighbor hood. In this case it may be an isolated incident. In this case the Backflow device is working as it should.

Dan

:thumbsup: :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

debo

Thursday, September 24th 2009, 3:19pm

RE: Loud Noise when sprinklers go on??? help please...

I agree with Todd. Spend about $20, solder it in and be okay.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 24th 2009, 8:22pm

I recently had a repair just like this and I would like to modify my original post. I do appreciate all agreements.

First I checked the master valve and replaced the diaphragm. Then I went to each of the problem zones 1 and 2, and replaced the diaphragms in those two valves as well. This did the trick. I could not have done it with out the Valve locator.

It took some time to develop the strategy.

I hope this helps somebody. :thumbup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Rate this thread