You are not logged in.

mmasnick

Starting Member

Sunday, February 7th 2010, 6:17pm

Broken wires connected to solenoid

Hi there,

Ok. We've got a sprinkler system with three separate zones set up, but only the first two are used (last one is an area that we don't need to water). The system was installed before we bought the house and haven't had any trouble in the last 2.5 years we've been here. A few days ago, zone 1 stopped working altogether. Just nothing happened, but zone 2 kept working fine.

I didn't understand how the system was set up, but now I think I've figured out the basics -- and the problem. But I'm not sure the best way to fix. I found the three Irritrol valves (all three in a row), and discovered that on the two outside ones, ONE of the wires connected to each solenoid had broken off. From this it would appear that neither zone 1 nor zone 3 would work, but I guess the wire for zone 1 just broke last week (who knows when Zone 3 broke, since we never use it). As I was trying to figure this out, I tried unscrewing one of the solenoids with the broken wires (not even being sure which one went to which zone), and after a few twists, water started flowing, and Zone 1 sprinklers turned on. I quickly tightened the solenoid back up and after a couple minutes the sprinklers shut down.

As I'm sure you can tell, I'm not really familiar with how these things work, but am trying to figure it out. The wires are broken off right at the point that they connect to the solenoid, with a few wire strands sticking out of the top of the solenoid.

Trying to figure out the best way to fix? Do I just buy a new solenoid? Or is there a way to reattach the wire?

Any help for this newbie, greatly appreciated.

pass1

Monday, February 8th 2010, 8:59pm

broken wire

If the wire is broken right at the solenoid you will have to replace the solenoid. They are less than $20.00. You just have to shut off the main water supply to the sprinkler system, unscrew the solenoid, replace with new one and rewire as before. Then turn water back on. By manually loosening the solenoid you hydraulically opened the valve. Any irrigation supply house will carry a solenoid., just supply them with the make and model number which is usually located somewhere on the valve body.

root

Administrator

Monday, March 15th 2010, 2:04pm

you can buy solenoid here at sprinklerwarehouse.com, or read article about how to replace the solenoid here

Rate this thread