You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

vio0633

Unregistered

Saturday, February 13th 2010, 7:50pm

Pop up heads wont pop up

A while back, I noticed that some of my Toro mini 8 pop up heads would not pop up all the way. I could grab them and then all of them in a zone would pop up. I replaced the problematic rotors with new Rain Bird 32SA rotors but the problem seems to get worse. Its like there isnt enough pressure to pop the new heads up. Is there any difference in pressure required to run the 32SA compared to the toro mini 8 pop up? For some reason as I am replacing the rotors...the problem is getting worse. Thanks for the help!

vio0633

Unregistered

Saturday, February 13th 2010, 8:04pm

One note to add...is sometimes when I turn the manual bleed screw on the valve on and off...it will kick on and they will pop up faster then having the valves come on from the controller. Could it be a bad valve in that zone maybe or just bad water pressure?

mrfixit

Saturday, February 13th 2010, 8:41pm

It's most likely the valve. Either change the valve or repair it. Good bet that'll do it.

vio0633

Unregistered

Saturday, February 13th 2010, 10:00pm

Thanks for the help! I think I found the issue. The toro rotors I had were installed with a 1.5gpm tip on them. The rain bird ones I got were setup for 3gpm. With double the amount of water coming out I would need more pressure. Soo....I gotta find the right tips so it doesnt spit out so much water and I dont have to use so much pressure. Too bad home depot doesnt sell any :(

Percy

Wednesday, May 5th 2010, 6:22am

For future reference, most of the time the problem with pop-ups is in the valves, and often as simple as a valve not being fully open. Always check that first. As for the parts you need try these guys for irrigation equipment and products. While we are on the subject, another common problem is sand or grit becoming trapped between the pop-up riser
and the sprinkler cap. This can cause the riser to become stuck part of the way up. Try pressing down on the head with your foot to push it back into the start position and then releasing it so it pups up again. You might have to try a few times but it generally works.

mrfixit

Wednesday, May 5th 2010, 1:37pm

Here's another option If you want to buy irrigation products online I highly recommend shopping at Sprinklerwarehouse. I'd like to thank Percy for resurrecting this old post.
www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/

Rate this thread