You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

root

Administrator

Tuesday, February 23rd 2010, 7:53am

How do you like this new layout?

Hi everyone!
How do you like the new face of the forum?
Tell me what you think, and maybe comments and suggestions? :)

mrfixit

Friday, March 5th 2010, 8:02pm

The layout itself looks very nice. Very professional. Good job.

I can point out a couple of items that don't work for me though .
The color of the font for one. Only orange works no matter which color I choose.
Also the font will change from the one I've selected to this one when I press
enter to start a new line. I can live with both of those.

The thing that might be an issue for first time visitors to this site is where to post their
questons? Look at the forum page. Where do you click? You have to click to different pages
til you run across "new thread". What's a thread? Of course I know but does joe blow homeowner?
Those are the people we're helping here. I often wonder how many people leave without asking
a question first because they're lost.

I think something should be in plain sight on every page and in plain english. Click here to ask a queston.
To ask your question click here. Ask question here. New thread.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, March 7th 2010, 12:43pm

RE: How do you like this new layout?

Hi everyone!
How do you like the new face of the forum?
Tell me what you think, and maybe comments and suggestions? :)
This looks like bad code for any browser other than Internet Explorer. That makes it bad news for a lot of people, me included. The orange-on-grey links are unreadable, and the need to force a widescreen display is not evident. Side-scrolling is not fun.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (Mar 7th 2010, 12:51pm)

root

Administrator

Monday, March 8th 2010, 8:57am

Thank you for your input, that is greatly appreciated. Is it looking better now, for the text readability?

mrfixit, The change text color works fine here, I'll test run some more to see what's the problem that cause you not able to change colors.

Wet_Boots, For the side scrolling part, may I ask you what monitor resolution (size) and browser you are using? We will continue to better improve the forum, and thanks for your help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 9th 2010, 7:46am

Right now, I'm on a old backup computer, with a 800x600 monitor, and I do get used to sites built for 1024x768 resolutions. Wider than that is genuinely annoying . The browsers in this backup are also older versions of Opera and Firefox and Internet Explorer. Now Opera is pretty obscure, in the realm of browsers, but the fans of low-resources computers will have machines with Linux and Windows 98/ME, and the only major-league browser that still gets security updates that will operate on Windows 9x computers is Opera.

root

Administrator

Wednesday, March 10th 2010, 8:55am

Thank you. The current setting is 960px to accommodate 1024x768 or higher resolution monitors. I will discuss the issue within the office to see how to best accommodate the majority users.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, March 16th 2010, 3:43pm

Absent a block of banner ads atop the page, I would think there would not be a specific need for any specific page width. Certainly I would be designing webpages with an eye to eliminate the need for any side-scrolling on any likely computer. One aspect of this site that I would like to see addressed is the forum posts that do not disclose the poster's location. So much advice is location-specific, that a question asked without providing a location makes an accurate reply impossible, and wastes time. I would have providing a location a requirement for making a post. I know that is easy to arrange, and a drop-down menu can be provided, so a new visitor can click on their state of residence.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, March 26th 2010, 8:59am

One more thing that would favor eliminating page code that forces a minimum display width, are some of the new inexpensive netbook computers, that have the 7-inch screens. I saw the specs for one bargain model (less than $100) that had a 800-pixel-wide display. I would be far more likely to carry such a 'disposable' netbook than something like an iPad or whiz-bang cutting-edge cell phone.

-

One more thing that gets me wondering, that is not related to the actual page code, is the time of day that attaches to these posts. It doesn't seem to relate to any US time zone, or even Greenwich Mean Time.

cindytong

Starting Member

Friday, March 26th 2010, 3:12pm

The time zone is believed to be Germany time.

Rate this thread